This Disappears When Logged In

Need Some Help with Equipment

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by severity, Apr 3, 2014.

1. severity

severity New Member

Hello all :) I have a few questions regarding some equipment i recently purchased. Let me explain my story..
    I am purchasing a Biak Green Tree in the next several months, the reason im asking now before i make the purchase is because the thing i cant stand the most is when someone buys an animal they know nothing about and then ask how to take care of it, so i do all my homework way ahead of time to ensure the best quality of life for my reptiles..
    Now to my question.. i have purchased an exo terra 18x18x24 rain forest habitat kit that arrived today, this will be housing my gtp once he his big enough to go in it without stressing.. This habitat kit is great as far as i can see, i have heard some people have had issues holding humidity, but i have done several days of research and believe i can solve this issue just fine..
    My problem is the compact canopy lighting top that came with the kit.. i was thumbing through the directions for this light and it says that it is not water proof and to not "expose to misting or humidity" Seems kind of bad on exo terras part to include a light that cant be exposed to any type of moisture with a "rain forest kit".. So this being said does anyone else use these lights to provide uv for their gtp? are they safe? will my light fry due to the high humidity and daily misting? If not is there a way to waterproof the light or a waterproof light i can buy that will fit the tank.. keep in mind i will not be using this for heating just uv light.. and with that is there a good waterproof lighting system i can buy that i can use for heating..
    This will be a live planted vivarium, i plan on having it planted and heat/humidity levels maintained as they should be to house the snake perfectly for months before he ever is actually put into the enclosure.. so if anyone has any suggestions about the canopy top and a good source of waterproof heating they would be greatly appreciated.. As i said i want everything to be perfect for my gtp before i ever make the purchase :) Thanks in advance :)

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

well a couple of things come to mind. First is the issue with your light which is simple. Cover the mesh with plexi glass so the actuall fixture is not exposed to the moisture but still lets the light in, it can be cut to the exact size of the openings. Second, chondros do not require UVB lights other then viewing so I assume it's only for the plants.... third, how do you intend on keeping humidity levels high and how are you heating? I use exo terra for most of my chondros but use heat panels and UTH to meet their needs no light other then for show. let me know I'd be happy to help if I can.

3. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

How old is the Biak you are getting? All of my chondros are in different sized Exo Terras with UTH and no heat panels but that's due the weather in Texas and like Joey I use lighting for show, You should think about preach sizes depending on the age of the Biak and the size of the enclosure, IMO an 18x18x24 is fit an older sub adult to adult, I have an early 2014 in a 8x8x8, I have another in a 12x12x12, two in a 12x12x18 but moving one of those will be moved into a 18x18x18 or 18x18x24, My two younger ones are preached on plastic hanger sized and the two older ones are on just at 1/2in sized, Another thought make sure the breeder is creditable, As always JoeyG is here to help (HA!!)

4. severity

severity New Member

I followed your advice and modified the top using acrylic. I will be heating the tank with a ceramic heat emitter bulb connect to a thermostat. And you would be correct ill be using the uv for my plants and to help the snake benefit from the 12/12 hour photoperiods :) The humidity will be kept up by either an auto misting system or just a normal 24 hour spray down. Im putting a false bottom in so i can have a pond with a water feature, which should also help maintain humidity levels :)

5. severity

severity New Member

The Biak i am currently looking at getting is a yearling, Although i can see my terrarium build taking a little longer than expected due to the fact some of the plants i am ordering are coming from the uk and im in the us lol. So chances are the snake id like to buy will no longer be available so i might end up with one between 1-2 years old.. This tank will not end up being my Biaks forever home. once my snake reaches full size i will be constructing a larger tank from melamine and glass, which will have all the good state of the art equipment, such as a pro-products heat panel and a helix thermo. As for perches in my exo terra i was reading in Greg Maxwells "The more complete chondro" that percch size should be roughly the diameter of the animal, that being said im making mounts so as i can remove my perches and replace with bigger ones as my snake grows. Ill be using large reeds that grow locally near my home.. these of course will be boiled before going into the terrarium :) As for the breeder at first i was going to go with underground reptiles which sell farm raised animals, but after reading Greg Maxwell's book i have decided against this idea and am currently speaking with Rico from Signal herp.. Do you know if he is credible? He sells CBB GTPs offers pedigrees on all of his snakes, along with feeding and shedding records. here is a link to his page Signal Herpetoculture Green Tree Pythons :)

6. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

Good to read you are doing your 'homework' before getting your chondro, I keep that same book at my side and at the ready, I got burned a few years ago on a farmed chondro and if I were you I would shy away from any framed GTP, There are a lot of breeder out there but I use one breeder from Colorado, I have purchased a total of five from him and have been very happy, He provides all the feed and shed records, Do you have Facebook, If so the first thing you should do is 'like' the Herp Center Facebook page and get in touch with Ryan Burke at Clockwork Reptile, Let him know I sent you to him and he'll hook you up

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Rico is a stand up guy at signal herp. Know a lot of people who have purchased from him and are very happy