This Disappears When Logged In

Need Some Good Opinions

Discussion in 'Ratsnakes' started by MadDog, Sep 9, 2009.

1. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

OK, we moved into a knew house this week and it has a shop attached to it. When we opened the door to it there was a tiny oak snake on it. He's probably about 18 inches or so. My question is this. Around me there's no where to release it where it won't come back in contact with people. I am scared it will get killed by someone. Also the only other wooded place I can release it is on my grandparents neighbors woods, but he kills all the snakes he comes across as well. I have him set up in a ten gallon with hides, climbing limbs, and the proper heat gradient. I've had him about a week now and he just ate today. I know how everyone on here feels about keeping wild caught animals, but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have a suggestion. The only other place I could call would be a local reserve park, but they would just keep him for educational purposes anyway, instead of releasing him outside.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

If memory serves there is quite a bit of wooded property near the Berrien County Airport which is not too far from you.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not everyone feels the same way. I personally see nothing wrong with keeping a specimen of a common abundant NON THREATENED species. Its how must of us old timers got started in the first place.
    But rather than turn this into that sort of debate,...
    I would think that there has to be some area that you can find near you that would be suitable.

4. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Yes, but it's not as much as it seems. Plus there are houses on every side of that area. That is, if it's the same one you are thinking about. That is also private property and I can't go in too deep to release him. I tried releasing one there a few years ago and it wound up coming out and getting ran over.

Also, Merlin I agree with you. If it wasn't for a wild caught species, we wouldn't have most the pets we have now. But, also like you mentioned, we need to be considerate about the amount we bring out of the wild.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you find it that difficult to find a safe release area, then I think you should hold onto him/her, especially as you say the snake`s started feeding... I doubt if one "rescue" will put the species at risk, maybe YOU are the best chance he/she has of survival in the long term!

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

I've named him Twiggy and other than being a little racy sometimes, he is very nice. What I mean by racy is he will sometimes try to dart out of my hand while I'm holding him. I always make sure I have a second hand under him incase I need to restrain him though. I have a few quick questions though. I fed him a live pinky today. How hard do you think it will be to get him to switch over to f/t? I bought a couple of them today and I will try the next feeding. Also, how should I go about defrosting them?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Of course he's racy,...he's wild!
    Ratsnakes have a strong feeding response and it shouldn't be that hard to convert him to FT.
    I just place them in a saucer and let them thaw at room temp. It doesn't take long for a pink.
    Or if you are in a hurry you can put it in a baggie and soak it in a bowl of warm water.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Just defrost them in some luke-warm water, (Put it/them in a plastic bag)or even leave them at room-temp for a litte while, they don`t take long to defrost at that size! It will be difficult to "warm-up" F/T pinkies, they are so small, but just try and see if he/she will take them...
    Merlin!! Stop typing with two fingers please, you`ve beaten me to it again!!

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

LOL!! Yeah, that's why I'm not bothered by it. I'm sure with time he will settle down. If not though, I am happy with the way he is.

If I have time tomorrow, I will take some pictures of him. Also he was fully stretched out in the ten gallon and I got a measurement of 14 inches. A quick question though. How long should I see the lump from the pinky mouse from consumption time? Oh, and how long does it take a snake to poo? I assume the last question is one of those it all depends kind of questions.