This Disappears When Logged In

Need Information Or Advice

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by NcFordgirl, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NcFordgirl

NcFordgirl Member

Ok me and my dad use to rise all kinds of snakes and animals .
    Here my question I just rescued a red tail boa I have had it a good month and few days the temperature is right and all but I have never seen one hiss and open there mouth like he yarning like scared of a mouse now he is 6ft long can anyone give me subjection on what I could do or maybe try , all my 35 years never had this problem

2. NcFordgirl

NcFordgirl Member

it hasn't use the bathroom either since we had it , i know it has ate anything yet either have no clue what they had him on or anything so we were trying a few big mice ,

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

At 6ft, mice aren't worth the snake's notice. It needs large rats. A lot of yawning could indicate a respiratory infection.

4. NcFordgirl

NcFordgirl Member

Ok that's the thing no one here has them and we was trying to see if he would eat , no infection he doing it when hiss only

5. NcFordgirl

NcFordgirl Member

we drove 2 in half hours to get the mice just to try him see if he would eat , we know nothing bout him , but as far as opening his mouth and hissing thats only when the mouse is in his cage there no infection , we dont know how long he has been in the wild either the way he act maybe 2 to 3 days , we built a cage 6ft long by 3 ft tall to give him room to move , heat is 90 degrees , he is fine picking him up and messing with him , only acts like this when we put mouse in there , he seems to be in pretty good health tho , just never seen one hiss and like threwing his body like this one is doing the only other thing here are chicks ,should i try him on that

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

He was "in the wild?" for a few days? How did you come to rescue him?
    Once his conditions are right as far as temperature and humidity goes, he has fresh water available and is secure in his enclosure (what is the substrate/bedding in his cage?) just leave him alone to settle down for a week or so, then since you cannot get rats, he may eat chicks quite readily and at least they are bigger than mice, which of course are too small for a boa that size.
    Any pictures?

7. NcFordgirl

NcFordgirl Member

Some one let him go we was walking in town and my daughter like to stepped on him we had fight him but we got him yes we called the law and animal control no one claimed him it has been going on 1 month and 2 week, ok I will try chicks , he is on newspaper , and his cage temp is 90 degree s,.

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Thanks for doing your best to care for him.
    Make sure you read the care sheets on boa keeping, so you can give him the humidity level etc. that he needs. The newspaper is OK for a substrate, if he has the right temperatures and humidity inside his enclosure.
    Can we see any pictures?