This Disappears When Logged In

Need ID

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by wangtrevor, Jul 14, 2012.

1. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

Hi, I recently found this salamander and would like to keep it. My friend insists it is a Arboreal Salamander but I don't think it is. It has no visible teeth yet. We found it in California, Palo Alto.

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

you shouldn't keep an animal that came from the wild. and you would need to post a pic of it.

3. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

Hi, I recently found this salamander and would like to keep it. My friend insists it is a Arboreal Salamander but I don't think it is. It has no visible teeth yet. We found it in California, Palo Alto. Its undersides are cream. We found it in hole in mud made by a deer a couple feet from a drying pond.
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8592/dsc6686.jpg
    http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7434/dsc6687t.jpg

This is my first post on the forum and i did not attach it correctly

Its undersides are cream. We found it in hole in mud made by a deer a couple feet from a drying pond.
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8592/dsc6686.jpg
    http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7434/dsc6687t.jpg
    Also, what does it eat? it doesnt seem to eat pinhead crickets or small mealworms

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

5. mele

mele Elite Member

This should help.
    California Salamanders

Unfortunately, it is illegal to collect native California wildlife. It should be returned if it's not to late.

6. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

I happen to have a sportsfishing liscense somewhere that expires in a a couple of months.
    (a) Only the following amphibians may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. No amphibians may be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.

ok, i took it to the local pet shop and they identified it as an Arboreal Salamander. they reccended tubifex worms. its not seeming to eat them or small crickets or mealworms. the pet store guy said you could place them in a small dish or feed it to them using tweezers. None of this has worked. is there anyway to tell if he may have eaten them whilst i wasnt paying attention or overnight? also what else would you reccomend i should feed it?

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

What do they eat in the wild? I don't think a wild caught animal will reconize freeze dried worms as a food source. That is one of the down sides of wild caught animals. A lot of them do very poorly in captivity and often starve themselves to death.

8. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

[SUB][/SUB]
    the tubifex worms were live. ive also seen worm like creatures in the pond when it is less driedup. my guess is fruit flies since there were a ton there but my culture died out so i will get some at the lps tommorow

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I don't understand why you are so set on getting this salamander to eat what you're providing.

Why not do the right thing and by a captive bred salamander?

The one you found isn't eating.

It seems pretty straight forward to me.

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

11. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

I may put him near a nearby lake because the original pond is already dry. also, how much would it cost to adopt a creature? is it way cheaper then buyin one at a store?

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I'm more concerned about your knowlege base for raising amphibians. I'm not trying to put you down I just don't know how to respond to your questions without knowing more about your abilities.

The Arborial Salamander is extreamly small and delicate, the wrong enclosure by just a little will kill it very quickly. Live tubifex worms are kind of small I would look for black worms at the aquarium stores (if they are even available anymore :p ) The black worms are a bit larger and move independantly, this could get a feeding responce. Tiny slugs, snails, maggots, and other semi aquatic bugs are what they eat in the wild. Crickets can move to much for the young salamanders.

13. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

dont worry, not offended. I will try blackworms untill i can find a time to release it. i was going to ty FFs because when we walked near the used-tobepond, there were a ton of flys. a freind of mine has been keeping a pacific chorus frog from the pond on wingless fruit flies and small crickets. if you know any stores that may have blackworms near santa clara could you please inform me?

currently in its tank i have some plastic aquarium plants, and some of the mud? from the pond. would coconut fibre be a good substrate? also, i mist when i wake up and when i go to sleep. there is also a little pool in the corner.

14. mele

mele Elite Member

If your planning on housing him until you can return him to the wild, can you post a few pics of the set up pool, mud, plants, and temps. I'm not sure on the black worms...does he look thinner then when you found him?

15. mele

mele Elite Member

If your planning on housing him until you can return him to the wild, can you post a few pics of the set up pool, mud, plants, and temps. Are you using tap, bottled, or treated water? I'm not sure on the black worms...does he look thinner then when you found him?

16. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

I can't really take a picture right now. But it is housed in one of those huge cricket cages. The mud was starting to stink so I replaced it with coconut fibre. There is a pool of water in a burried dish in the corner and there is 1 plastic aquarium plant a couple of sticks and a section of pvc. He,'s still around the same size. The temperature is varied as some is in the sun but the cool side is around 75f. I currently
    Am using bottled water

17. mele

mele Elite Member

Im not sure why you have him anywere near the sun......Keep the enclosure way from direct sunlight please. They are active at night so the light provided by your room is fine. They like to hide so provide leaves, moss, and bark. Continue to offer fruitflies, pinheads, and other small insects. I truly hope you try your best to do right by this lttle guy. Dont handle him and once you set him up....leave him alone. They stress very easy :(

Best of luck to you both

18. wangtrevor

wangtrevor Member

Hi i will take him out of sun. I added some bark. But, it seems to like to hide in the fake aquarium plant. The only reason i plan on touching him is to take him out so i can clean the tank. Also, is there a good way to keep FFs off of the walls? they keep on climbing very high where i'm afraid the salamander wont see them.