This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Caprice, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Caprice

Caprice New Member

I bought a green Iguana from someone about 3 months ago. You could tell that the poor guy had tried to drop his tail. Now half of his tail is brown and it wasn't like that when we first got him. What should I do?

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you crop the photo to zoom right in, it looks as if the tail has regrown, although the very tip looks damaged (may be dead tissue)?
    Just for the sake of asking can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions such as the ambient (air) and basking surface temps, the humidity range and how you measure those, plus details of the type and wattage of the heat/lighting? Thanks!

TamJam likes this.
  3. Caprice

Caprice New Member

I can as soon as I get home from work

murrindindi likes this.
  4. Caprice

Caprice New Member

His basking spot it at 85 and humidity it at 40. We use the thermometers inside the tank that he came with. Also not sure on the lights. He came with his whole set up when we got him.

Attached Files:

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Murrindindi, where are you?:)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Tammy, still in the U.K is where I am! :(;)

TamJam likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos.
    Everything I say is to help you help the iguana, no disrespect intended!
    The fishtank is quite unsuitable other than VERY temporarily. The screen top is allowing much heat and humidity to escape, you need to cover it as completely as possible, kitchen foil will work temporarily.
    The analogue gauges can be very inaccurate (as much as 15%+ out) which means you/we have no idea what the temps and humidity ranges might actually be.
    If one of the bulbs is a compact UVB they are not very efficient at all, much better are the linear UVB tubes such as the Arcadia or Zoo-Med brands T5 HO (high output) @ 10-0 or 12-0 fitted with a reflector and approx. 2/3rds the enclosure length (relatively expensive because you also need to buy the T5 housing). I`m not sure the current tank is big enough to use a MVB (mercury vapour bulb)?
    You need a digital hygrometer and IR Temp-gun urgently, the latter will measure the surface of the basking object which needs to be around 38c (100f). The lowest ambient (air) temp should be around 24c (75f) the humidity should range between approx 60 to 75%.
    I think you can buy both instruments at Lowes or Walmart (quite cheap).

Digital Infrared Handheld Temperature Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

Digital Thermometer Hygrometer / Humidity Temperature Monitor Meter ( 2 in 1 ) | eBay

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member