This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with Severely Dehydrated MHD Rescue!

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Alby, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Alby

Alby Elite Member

I shall indeed get him tested for parasites... just patiently waiting for the imp to poop. The issue with vets here is that, being in the middle of a farming province, most deal with livestock and such. The pay for exotic vets is really low in comparison so we're left with the bottom of the barrel and the newbies. The only good one who isn't on mat leave is in Calgary... so about 2.5 hours from here. :(

On a side note, could anyone recommend a good sealant safe to use around reptiles. I discovered last night that Norbert's tank has a small crack in the bottom. This normally wouldn't be too much of an issue other than increased dampness... but apparently his waterfall is also leaking and causing a rather heavy out-flux of water from the tank onto my carpet. :(((

And Renouji... though not nearly as frightening his latest song and dance this morning was to climb onto the back of my neck and move from side to side as I would reach up to try to get him down. Evidently my shoulders are much more fun to perch on then his branches. :p

2. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Lol. Nice liloth does that to me!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You can use 100% silicone, or aquarium silicone, but it has to air out for a while!

4. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

ditto on the above...you can purchase the 100% silicone at most hardware stores and even wal-mart...(just make sure it is indeed 100% silicone and NOT the silicone generally used for kitchen and bathrooms...those have additives to prevent mildew and such, and those additives are poisonous to reptiles/amphibians.)

Best of luck with the rehabilitation of you MHD.

5. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Righto I'll get right on that. Thank you to everyone who's offered advice/encouragement :D. I have a little ten gallon I can put him in temporarily while the other one gets repairs. He doesn't really move in his tank anyways and I can always let him come out and play more since his space will be reduced. Unfortunately all my other tanks are occupied at the moment.

6. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Alright, so Norbert has a vet appointment for tomorrow evening. I'm not thrilled about going back to that vet but I won't let her do anything unless she explains exactly why she's doing it. He's been regressing again and he's still throwing up, which has me concerned that she did damage his kidneys with the baytril. I've bought aquarium sealant so hopefully the little guy will be back in his normal tank in a few days. He's not happy about the space reduction but I'm letting him stay out and play longer so he's tolerating it.

7. mld

Best of luck at the vet! Hopefully it's nothing to serious!
    Saying a prayer for the little one for a healthy report!

8. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Well he survived the vet visit... though the trip resulted in yet another arguement between this vet and I. She confirmed that he was still a tiny bit dehydrated but not as bad as the last time she saw him, so we have a probiotic rehydration gel he's getting for 4 days. I also suspected that the repti-aid may have been upsetting his stomach, so I also got her to give us some of the Oxbow carnivore care. She tried to prescribe the baytril again and got rather angry when I questioned her logic on the matter and flat out refused to fill the prescription. Still no definite droppings so no parasite test for now.

He's getting much more active which is a good sign... jumped headlong into the shower curtain AGAIN. He also has learned he can climb out of his temporary tank before I can get the lid on if he doesn't want to go back in. He REALLY hates any kind of enclosed environment.

9. mld

Does the vet think that he has a respiratory infection for some reason, why would she still was to prescribe the baytril?

At least she gave you something for the dehydration!

10. Alby

Alby Elite Member

I don't know... I never got an explaination about her logic. He's been breathing fine since the first night so I don't think a respiratory tract infection is likely. I told her I was worried about parasites because I'm fairly sure he's wild-caught due to his size and scarring, but that still wouldn't warrent antibiotic treatment.

On a positive note... OPERATION EARTHWORM WAS A SUCCESS!!! :D He finally ate half of one, then got distracted and climbed onto my head.

11. mld

I hope he enjoyed his earthworm!

12. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Nice sounds like he is recovering rather well (^_^), Sorry to hear your vet is a terd.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

wait, so even when directly asking what the baytril was for, she wouldn't give you an answer?

14. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Nope... all she would say was that it was an antibiotic... which both of us knew I already knew. That 2.5 hour trip to Caalgary for vet visits is starting to look better and better.

He's slowly getting better at least, and he's stopped throwing up since I started him on earthworms and carnivore care. :D Makes me feel better about the state of his kidneys. That vet should be thankful... if her actions had caused him to pass away it would be machete and sunglasses time.

15. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

To me it sounds like she dosnt really have a reason to give the baytril. Some vets just give antibiotics because they dont know what else to do.Its really lame she didnt explain to you why, its a valid question that is easily answered.
    The carnivore care is good stuff! Good luck, it sounds like your little guy is improving.

16. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Yeah its a band-aid solution. Norbert's slowly improving, though he has good days and bad. He hasn't eaten another worm since the first so I'm dropping the syringe feeding to once a day to encourage him to eat on his own. I'll just have to monitor his weight... he was only 32 grams at his vet appointment!

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If your vet won't talk to you and explain what they are doing, and, even worse, get angry when you question them, LEAVE!
    You are the one paying for the service,..that makes YOU the boss. You do not have to tolerate such behavior.
    If their ego has a problem with that its just too bad!

18. Alby

Alby Elite Member

I agree with you 100%, and normally I would have. I did however need the carnivore care, and it was either put up with her for ten minutes to get it or leave and have to make an appointment with another vet who's just as incompetent and stress the little guy out again.

I also mostly picked the fight because I knew she didn't have a reason for attempting to put him on antibiotics and couldn't answer my question without admitting she's a knob.... kinda hoped she would admit her mistake and learn.