This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help With Rollo

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Zachwood, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Zachwood

Zachwood Well-Known Member

Well took ur advice merlin gave Rolo a bath and let him soak for like 15 min and me and my daughter were rubbing his spikes slowly they all were shedding off the old layers some r damaged some r ok but it worked wonders thanks 15144402589911453465979.jpg

Merlin likes this.
  2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m suggesting you use two halogens above the basking shelf, place the CHE on the right side of the enclosure if you need to increase temps during the day (or at night). In other words, remove the two current light/heat bulbs altogether (you haven`t said what they are)?
    The halogens will possibly be closer to to the shelf by a couple of inches but until you can get an accurate surface temp reading we won`t know if the shelf might need lowering slightly?

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you use two halogens this way, it will ensure that the animal`s whole snout to vent length will heat up evenly..... 133.JPG

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I need more bulbs because of his size but the pricipal is exactly the same, they will heat the body evenly..... 016.JPG

5. Zachwood

Ok cool thats ur baby huh is it a sav monitor

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No, he`s an Asian water monitor, largest available in the pet trade, they can reach over 9 feet...

7. Zachwood

Is this the right one murrindindi 1514509159139-621093873.jpg

8. Zachwood

Just tryed putting this one in its to big of a bulb for the housing on tops goin to have to use the spot ones instead of flood cause there to wide

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You cannot use spot beam bulbs, they are likely to cause serious burns because the beam is so narrow. There is absolutely no difference in the bulb face width between a par 30 or 38 flood or spot beam, but I understand the bulb covers are too small, can you remove them and just have the bulbs hanging down loose? A photo of the fixtures from the enclosure top might help me to suggest something.

10. Zachwood

Ok i will b home in like 30 min we r taking him to the vet for his cjeck up since we just adopted him ill take a few pics cause i know i am having trouble heating it to right temp still waiting on thermo gun from amazon tried the aquarium pump didnt work at all for hummidity wats ur suggestion on the xoterra monsoon got to get this hummiditty and lighting down asap.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I suggested using an aquarium heater, not pump?
    There`s nothing much the vet could do that will benefit the iguana until all the condition support it (which is exactly what you`re trying to do). You won`t know how the temps/humidity are until you have the instrument/s to measure them accurately. I personally wouldn`t waste money on an Exo Terra monsoon system!

12. Zachwood

Sorry meant to say aquarium heater used the tetra 50 watt

13. Zachwood

Only takin him to vet cause we were told to upon adoptin him and also we have noticed on the inside of both of his back legs he has what looks like cuts in the crease it doesnt look good just been waiting to see the reptile vet

14. Zachwood

I put the thermometer hydrometer in the enclosure i got last night from amazon finally came in lol and it is saying 28 celsius wich is like 85 f roughly with 35% hummidity all wich need improvment sorry forgot to post that and ill post those pics of top of enclosure so any other suggestions on hummidity

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It would take a few hours to heat the water and to raise the humidity, I would check after it`s been on through the night, the water should be heated to around 80 to 85f.
    Where have you placed the hygrometer?
    I think another the reason the humidity is so low is because the ambient temps were maybe low, too (the halogen bulbs should remedy that).

16. Zachwood

At the top of the enclosure and i left the heater in for like 6 hours it says it will heat to 78 degrees no highr should i get a different heater to heat hotter and try leaving it over night

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you haven`t already, you can use a diluted iodine solution, 10 (ten) parts water to 1 (one) part iodine, dab the wounds very gently once per day, do not rise off.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

78f is o.k as a water temp, personally I use the ones that go to 90f or just above even if you don`t use it to the maximum.

19. Zachwood

Do u think i should try iodine and water mix first and get his enclosure peefect first before vet ill post pics of his legs

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m only showing you different things to give you an idea of what`s available, you don`t necessarily need this in your small water container.... This is an external heater, extremely efficient and cheap to run (not very expensive at all). I`m heating a 90 gallon pool...

056.JPG

143.JPG