This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help With Rollo

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Zachwood, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Zachwood

Zachwood Well-Known Member

Alright darkbird and merlin u both have helped me out so much already just have a couple queations my iguanas spikes r having troyble shedding i have only had him about 2 weeks looks like his spikes r layered up like twice and also he has wat looks like 2 little cuts on each inner leg i think from old enclosure set up but i am takin him to vet friday just any help would b appreciated thanks again

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you say exactly what type of basking bulb you`re using and also how you measure the temps (ambient and surface) plus the humidity range and what are all those?
    I`d also like to ask how big the iguana is, particularly it`s snout to vent length?

3. Zachwood

Well i am pretty sure i am using a che bulb for him to bask under there also is 2 other bulbs will see wat they are when i get home tonight and put him to bed also tgere is a uvb tube too but i am waiting on my temp and hummidity gauge from amazon and am still worried about it being hummid enough in his enclosure can u give me ideas for that and ill post a pic of his spikes when i get home when i adopted him it was already like this just need to fix the pet store and previous owners neglect can u tell me optimal temp spots and hummidity level so i can get him there and possibly how to get the hummidity there

4. Zachwood

5. Zachwood

There is some pics murrindindi

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the ig will go for it, give a good soak in slightly warm water in the bathtub. Then rub some mineral oil on the spikes. Gently rub them with your fingers and it should come off. You may end up with some broken spikes as it appears that there are some that are damaged. This is leftover shed possibly more than one layer. Its due to previous humidity being to low.

murrindindi likes this.
  7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The CHE is not particularly effective as a "basking" bulb because it directs the heat all around rather than downwards in a relatively concentrated beam, they are fine for raising the ambient (air) temps either during the day or night. Much more efficient are par 30 or par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs (must be used with ceramic bulb holders). I would tentatively recommend you use 2 x 50 or 60w, place them a couple of inches apart so they evenly heat at least the animal`s snout to vent length (that`s most important).
    Incandescent household bulbs are not very effective for the same reasons the CHE`s aren`t. I think you can buy the halogen flood beams in Lowes or Walmart for just a few dollars each. I will show you one of my basking areas to give you an idea (it doesn`t matter which relatively large lizard it`s for, the principal is exactly the same) I just happen to keep monitors..
    For the iguana I would recommend a basking surface temp of around 100 to 105f or so, the lowest ambient @ approx. 72 to 75f (day and night).
    The humidity needs to range between approx. 60 to 75%....
    If there are any gaps around the enclosure door/elsewhere you need to block them off as completely as possible, you will lose much heat and humidity otherwise..... You still haven`t said how big the animal is (snout to vent)?
    23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

8. Zachwood

Sorry he is roughly about 3ft 15144008811511876148272.jpg 1514400915265-1365818561.jpg

9. Zachwood

I am still in process of fixin his enclosure and makin it suitable for him the place i got him from had him in the same enclsure with nothing in it so me and my daughter have slowly fixed it curious on how to keep the hummidity up in enclsure also its very tall tryin to keep it all warm in there those bulbs u said would help with this right still waitimg on my thermometer hydrometer to come from amazon

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you take a photo of the heat/light bulbs? The basking bulbs I recommeded should not dry out the air to the same degree as the CHE, making it easier to maintain a suitable humidity range and at the same time heat the animal`s body more effectively.
    Give me 5 minutes I`ll get a photo in closeup of a halogen bulb... Again, I suggest you try two @ 50 or 60w and see what surface temp you get, you can either raise/lower bulbs or basking object (or fit a dimmer switch) 189.JPG .

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  11. Zachwood

12. Zachwood

Any suggestions on how to keep the hummidity up i was told put a aquarium heater in the tub of water that might work just any suggestions would b nice to

13. Merlin

Stefan and I disagree regarding CHEs. I have used them for basking spots for a long time. Including the 6 ft tall enclosure that housed my female for almost 20 years. The basking area was a solid wooden shelf part of which lay directly under a CHE that kept that area very toasty..

14. Merlin

Your lack of humidity is likely due to too much ventilation. Is there a lot of screen or large vents. If so covering them will help. I always kept a cat litter pan full of water in mine. This served the purpose of keeping humidty up as well as the fact that they will often defecate in it, simplifying clean up.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I wouldn`t begin to try and tell you how to take care of an iguana, Merlin!
    As far as "basking" bulbs go, the CHE`s cannot compare with the par 30 or 38 halogen flood beams with regard to heating the animal`s body evenly, particularly when using more than one and with the larger lizards, it may be possible in the OP`s case to use just two 50w which won`t dry out the air nearly as much yet they should cover at least the SV length, there`s no way you could use a 50w CHE (or two) to do the same job, they would need to be extremely close to the animal, and higher wattages will dry out the air to a greater extent. From what I can see in the photos, two halogens will fit very well. Over the years I`ve seen that the majority of keepers use one single bulb at the basking site, no matter if the iguana is a large adult, it would take the lizard longer to reach it`s preferred body temp once cooled which doesn`t benefit it at all.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. Zachwood

Okay so i big tub of water will do fine then just need to keep temp optimal to cause hummidity right. And no it is solid glass shower doors have a pic in other posts.

murrindindi likes this.
  17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, put a container of water in and make sure the enclosure`s well sealed, you can use a small aquarium heater (50w) if it`s around 5 to 10 gallons, they are very cheap and many come with a protective guard.

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Looking at the pics, I would swap the CHE with the heat bulb on the far right, and if you do decide to use the halogens which I HIGHLY recommend you can then have the pair of them above the basking shelf, the CHE for nighttime heat or extra heat during the day if needed (tell me if that all makes sense)?

19. Zachwood

Ok i tottaly understand do u think the halogens will b to close to basking shelf if i put one in next to the che cause i keep that on all the time for heat or would i just need to test it out and check the temps

20. Zachwood

Ok cool i understand do u think the halogen will work or will it b to close to basking shelf