This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with Breeding :/ First Time

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by Auttie, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Auttie

Auttie Member

My situation is a little complicated. See, I have my two Alligator Lizards, Fammy and Lucky, who I assume are opposite gender. Well a few times this week I've caught them doing what looks an awful lot like mating, but I can't really tell because they won't let me get close enough to look before they stop and move to the other and of the cage. I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but I know this is Alie breeding season so I want to be more safe than sorry. I built an egg laying chamber and put it in a different cage lined with paper towels just like I've been told to do. I would really like some babies so I left my presumed female in with the male...the question is...when do I separate her so she can have her eggs in the chamber??? :/ Please help.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I got this off of this site: Alligator Lizard Fact Sheet

Courtship

Not well studied
    Mating in early spring

Life Stages
    Egg

Reports of females sharing egg-laying sites (Lemm 2006)
    Significant differences exist for number of clutches between populations of Elgaria in different areas
    Normally 5 to 20 eggs laid between May or June and July
    Eggs are placed in rock crevices, burrows of rodents (Lemm 2006)

Hatchlings

Hatch after 11 weeks
    34 mm, Snout Vent Length (1.3 in)
    Weigh .55 grams (.12 lbs)

Young

Juveniles marked differently than adults: a broad stripe on the back of tan, reddish, yellow, gray, or beige; side bars may be less distinct

Adults

Sexual maturity reached at about 18 mos, 31 grams in weight

so I would say seperate them in late april early may.