This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with AFT's

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Tsks7205, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsks7205

Tsks7205 Member

I've just received the other day 2 AFT geckos and the person who had them didn't take good care of them. The lady said that she had them for 2 years and has no more time for them. They were on sand and by the looks of all the poop and urates it looks like she didn't even bother to clean their tank for a LONG time. They had a lot of sheds covering their feet to the point I thought they were white socks. I guess she would spray them only when they started to shed. By the looks of the poop it look like they ate nothing but sand. She had a heating lamp for them but no UTH. I have no clue how she kept them alive for two years if that was the way she was keeping them. Well as soon as I got them home I put them in a humid box for a little while so it can help get off all the shed on their feet. I got it all off but it revealed that they have lost some toes due to their poor housing. I removed the sand and have them on paper towels at the moment. I put a humid hide in too and I don't have a UTH at the moment but I do plan on getting one soon. One is a male and the other is a female. They seem pretty healthy and they have fat regenerated tails.

So what I'm here for is to ask is if they were housed like the way they were for 2 years with little humidity would this effect them in any way by rising the humidity so quickly? or should I rise it slowly?

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Welcome to HC! I am so glad to hear that you have taken them under your care. It sounds like you really want the best for them and I applaud you for that.:D

I do not own a AFT but there are a whole lot of owners on this site that have loads of experience with them. They are still sleeping and will be active on the forum in about 4 hours from now.;)

Good Luck.

3. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I'm not sleeping! YET! haha I would think it would be best to get them up to regular humidity (for them) sooner rather than later The sooner they are in "perfect," (or as close to it as possible of course) conditions the better. I would maybe increase it in increments over the period of say, a few days to a week so that it is not too much of a shock. Continue to consistently add more humidity each night until it is the right level.
    That said, I am by no means an expert and I am sure other people will be on soon with some great advice. That is just my train of thought.
    If nothing else, one more week will not (*knocks on wood*) hurt them to much more, and increasing it steadily will prevent potential shock, but get them up to proper humidity fairly quickly.
    See what other people have to say too though.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They have suffered enough stress from improper husbandry.
    I would immediately bring them up to where they are supposed to be!
    And don't put the sand back in!

5. Tsks7205

Tsks7205 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ive been raising it 5% everyday starting from 50% and I'm up to 65%. They seem to be doing alot better then when i first saw them. They both ate 15 crickets last night but they couldn't catch them very well and I think it might be due to the lack of energy the are missing from previous feeds. But they took them right from my hand with no problem. I don't plan on putting the sand back in either due to the health risk that are involved. I plan on separating them soon cause I don't really have plans for breeding yet nor do I think the female is at a good weight to breed. They both are healthy but just not breeding weight. Again thank you all for the help and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I will keep you updated on how they are doing.

6. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Welcome to the site :)

You can put the crickets in the fridge for about 5 minutes, that will slow them down and the gecko's could then catch them :)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome to the board. AFTs need much more humidity than normal Leos. Once they are a little more healthy, try putting in some coconut husk for substrate. it holds moisture really well.

8. Tsks7205

Tsks7205 Member

Again thanks to everyone!:) I have them separated now and ive noticed my female already defecated yesterdays meal and her urates is kinda smeary looking. Not like a solid urate. Is this a sign of a problem? Also I was wondering if these geckos have been with each other for two years and with no place for the female to lay her eggs (if she did have eggs) wouldn't she have be come egg bound? or something of that sort? Would they even have mated under the conditions they were in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.