This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help To Identify New Frog

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by oakensiren, Dec 11, 2018.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Well-Known Member

I have a bio active set up i was hoping to use for red eyed croc skinks but still need to buy light and heat (and a cooling system for summer) but a friend of mine saw it and decided to buy a frog for me, and sinve i dont have another tank right now i put it in the vivarium, but i dont know what kind of frog it is or how to take care of it. 20181209_153858(0).jpg
    This is it, it developed some kind of black spots on the back. It is maybe half an inch.
    The tank is a 55 gal
    Temp stays in the low 60s and i keep humidity in the high 80s by misting twice a day with dechlorinated water.
    I will buy a heat lamp today or max tomorrow, what wattage would you recommend?
    What should i feed it, for now it has been eating the isopods and some centipedes (half its size).
    15445546052226697709394366350096.jpg 15445546283892776700628342998607.jpg 15445546531008322990730120295368.jpg
    Some pictures of the set up

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Are you in the southern United States?
    It looks like a green phase Ornate Chorus Frog. Pseudacris ornata
    BKXptZ0.jpg

3. oakensiren

I live in the southern part of mexico.

thanks it looks more like pseudacris ornata than the hyla cinerea i tought it could be.
    20181212_210717.jpg
    Now i will have to do some research on how to care for it

4. oakensiren

A bit late, but i found out what it is, a mountain tree frog (hyla eximia)

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That would explain why it wasn't in my guide for reptiles and amphibians of the Southeastern United States lol
    Glad to hear you found out what it is.

oakensiren likes this.
  6. oakensiren

Yeah, someone told me that since it is a 55 gal. tank for 5 frogs i could add a crested gecko or a pair of anoles, i have heard it is not recommended to mix species so im not really into it, but out of curiosity. Would it be posible? 20190118_140551.jpg this is my set up (a few weeks ago, now the plants are bigger)

7. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I wouldn't recommend it. It is entirely possible to keep certain animals together without issue for a long time but surprises and accidents do occur.
    Another thing about amphibians and especially tree frogs for some reason is their eyes are bigger than their stomachs and they'll often mistake things for food like a keeper's hand or other frogs bigger than them. If you threw some anoles for example in and the frog decided to try and eat one it would likely choke and they would both die.
    Here's an image of a tree frog trying to eat an anole almost its own size.

Attached Files:

oakensiren likes this.
  8. oakensiren

I was more worried about the anoles eating the frogs, apparently they max at around 1"