This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help Raising Humidity.

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by mitch303, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mitch303

mitch303 Member

Alright so i built a cage for my green iguana and i need help figuring out a way to raise the humidity in it. The cage is 7' tall x 4' deep x 4' wide. 3 of the sides are covered with plywood the front has a door that is wood frame with wire mesh and i stapled some plastic liner over the mesh to try and keep some humidty in and keep him from ripping off toenails.
    I do plan to remove the liner and put plexiglass in instead, Also thee top of the cage is mesh where all my lights are. I can not seem to keep my humidity up it stays around 40% unless i mist the cage then it jumps up to about 80%
    I do have one of those repti foggers but it doesnt help i can leave that thing on all day and it doesnt really impact the humidty. I also just put a humidifier in the room also hoping that will help.
    I'm thinking of using the pvc thing to run the humidifier into the cage. I also am going to pick up a cat liter box and fill it about halfway with water and stick that in the cage also. Is there anything else i can do to get the humidty where it needs to be?

2. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

You could cut a piece of plywood to go on the top with holes for the lights. Most of your humidity is probably being lost through the open mesh on the top of the enclosure.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

your best bet is to replace the mesh with glass, or something without holes. You would be surprised how LITTLE ventilation most reptile cages need.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos up?

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

The plexi glass on the front will be great. Also just as a tempory thing try putting aluminum foil on top of the cage leaving only space for your lights and see how that works for you. It wont burn and it should help keep humidity in. See what those things do for you then you can go from there but the vent from the humidifier into the enclosure should work even better if you do all that. Good luck!

6. justor

justor Elite Member

The enclosure as it is now is completely open with all that mesh, meaning that no matter how much effort you put into it you're not going to get the humidity any higher than the average in the room for any significant length of time. Even a small gap can be enough to suck all the moisture right out. You've got the right idea with the humidifier pumping into the enclosure. It might be easier to just put the humidifier inside the enclosure itself though, sounds like you've got plenty of room for it.

Basically once you get both the front and the top sealed off as best you can you should be good to go. If you completely seal off those areas, you may want to add one or two small vents. This can be as simple as an array of small holes drilled into the wall which can then be covered with duct tape as needed to establish a good balance between ventilation and humidity retention.

7. justor

justor Elite Member

Here is a picture of my iguana enclosure taken a few months ago right after it was completed.

Picture060.jpg

As you can see there is a small gap (imperfection, not intentional at all) between the door and the frame. That gap is less than one inch at the widest point, and spans about 2 and a half feet down the cage. Aside from that imperfection the enclosure was completely sealed with the exception of the holes on top for the light domes. That small gap though, was more than enough to ensure the enclosure wouldn't hold moisture for cr*p. I had to have two humidifiers running 24/7 to get even close to the target range, and it was a losing battle all the way. I have since made some alterations and it was a simple fix, but the point is even a small gap like that can make the enclosure completely useless when it comes to holding humidity.

Attached Files: