This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help Identifying My New Baby Boa.

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by RayneFyre, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Got my first boa from a reptile show on the 17th of this month. I've been told he is many different things but just wondering if I could get a few more opinions on what he might be. I need some educated boa peoples to help me out. :) Also curious if the guy ripped me off, he charged 75 dollars for him. Here's some of my best pics I have of my boa named Gauge. In life he is much more colorful, I can't get very good lighting without taking him outside and there's currently snow on the ground. Lol. So, here's Gauge.

l_36f1e3c586f14abba9f189bd87b3a3ca.jpg

l_2fdb90ff919d4f7393ee501354b5cfa4.jpg

l_ee06ec55a06f4deda123441f1629e5e5.jpg

l_1bd51646c70b427ba51255669f569173.jpg

l_2a68d1bbddc644d6b67ebfb74c2b5f5c.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Flint

Flint Elite Member

What you got is a gorgeous snake :)

I'm no boa expert, so I can't comment on your question, but my goodness it sure is purdy!

A more educated answer will come soon after mine I'm sure :)

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Looks like a red tail boa to me. Any more details about the subspecies and / morphs is beyond my area. $75 doesn't sound like he ripped you off at all - these sell in pet stores for over $100. My only concern is you got this animal without really knowing what it was. They get about 10 to 12 feet when full grown and live a long time. Be prepared for that. Also, I'll bring this up now since the little guy is obviously very young: if s/he isn't eating frozen / thawed or pre-killed prey now, switch the snake over. Feeding live rodents is very dangerous to reptiles.

4. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Thanks for all the advice! He is feeding on f/t mice since I got him. I have corn snakes also so every piece of food fills my freezer. Lol.

I was trusting of the breeder to be honest with me, and got taken advantage of. It really hurt me that he did that, but I'm still prepared to keep him nonetheless. I was really hoping to start out with a Hog Island or a Hog cross, and he was labeled 'Hog Island x Longicauda' so I thought he would stay small enough to handle with just one person safely. At least I don't live alone so I always have helping hands for when he is bigger. :) I apologize for my lack of experience in boas, he is my first one and I'm hoping to learn a lot from him as well as this site.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I just did a google search for that particular cross and all the images popping up are of boa constrictors. So it sounds like the breeder didn't lie to you but just didn't feel like making sure this one was going to a home that was prepared for it. If I ever bred any of my animals, I would make sure whoever bought one knew what to expect and how to care for it. Sadly a lot of people are just in it for the money. On the bright side, these boas tend to be docile and easy to handle.

6. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

He has been a complete sweetheart ever since I first held him. :) He has never hissed or struck at me or anything. He is my little gentleman. Lol.

The person I get my corn snakes from always asks me as many questions as I do to him. I like that about him. Lol. If I ever breed it would probably be only corns as of now, I would need to do a lot more research and stuff before even thinking about getting another boa. Although, albino boas are pretty sexy. :p For now I'm just trying to take care of the RI that my boa has, he's almost fully healed. No more snakes until my corn buddy has a fire or a blizzard come summertime.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like your basic common boa BCI to me. And 75 dollars is about right for one. So price wise you did not get ripped off.
    Generally true Hog island or Hog island crosses command a bit higher prices.
    As for size, the male BCI are a bit smaller than the females so you can expect 6-7 ft on average. Not such a monster that they are impossible to handle. And BCIs are great snakes if treated well. Neither of mine have ever so much as struck at me.

8. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Good to know! Gauge loves to approach my face and 'taste' my nose and eyelashes. Lol. I have no fear with him being near my face or anything. He loves to cuddle with you and watch tv in bed or on the couch. My boyfriend AJ will be glad to hear his size won't get huge like 12' or whatever. That was the whole reason we wanted a Hog Island in the first place. I'm guessing Gauge is about 2' long and last time I weighed him he was 99 grams which was two feedings ago.

9. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Good to know, thanks for the correction!

10. Merlin

Its an easy mistake. True redtails, bcc, get bigger. Part of the confusion is that they went from calling common boas to calling them "Columbian redtails".
    The true red tails are a specific locality species.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, I once bought (and this is totally my fault) a Central American boa, completely not knowing it was a dwarf subspecies. I was looking for a boa (I wanted a large-ish snake) and did not know that the central Americans were a dwarf subspecies, I just thought he was gorgeous because of his very dark coloration. Just recently I learned he is a dwarf, and unlikely to exceed 3 feet in length (so much for a large snake - my milk snake has already larger, and I bought them the same day!).

Things like that happen to all of us, we just have to turn the lemons into lemonade. Mine is a male by the way, and a very friendly individual.

Your male is a very handsome boy too!

12. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

Your story reminds me a lot of mine. I saw him and seeing how beautiful he was I got him too. Only thing is you wanted a biggie and I wanted a small guy. >.< Lol.

I definitely don't regret my purchase. I love him to death and am glad he is my first boa. He's my little gentleman, whether he's two feet or twelve feet. :)

Thanks for the compliments too btw!

13. RayneFyre

RayneFyre Active Member

So, I went to the local reptile show today to pick up a RodentPro order and while I was there I went and talked to the guy that sold me Gauge. I asked him about Gauge's parents and he insisted that his mom was a pure Hog Island and his dad was a pure Longicauda. He even showed me Hogs and Longs that he had for sale. He stated that he experimented with combining the two in order to produce boas that had the black highlights of the Longicauda as well as the chameleon like color changing characteristics of a Hog Island. He said the outcome was gray and black babies with intense hints of pink and salmon. I double checked his story and questioned him more and more, and he seemed very insistent on the fact that he knew what he was doing and remembered the breeding exactly. He had one of Gauge's supposed siblings in the container (the one of the two I saw but didn't buy) that showed more the colorings of a Hog but still had the Longicauda darkness also. I don't know if his story is true or not but he seemed so sure, almost to the point of being offended, about the fact that Gauge is half pure Hog and half pure Longicauda. Any thoughts on the matter?

14. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It could very well be that he's being truthful. Boas are very varible, to the point that crosses from colombian BCI and Belise BCC, some offspring will look like Purvian BCC. The price seems fair for the boa you have most mixed blood boas don't fetch much of a price any more, aside from albinos and other morphs.

15. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

ok i am no pro, but a 100% hogg is pretty much non-existant from what i have gathered, and the hoggs that i have seen are spotted like crazy, a trait that i would guess would be passed down to the offspring, guage is a very beautifull snake, but looking at the pictures you posted and my columbian imperator, they look VERY simalar, and my columbian is between 6 and 7 ft with an age that i was told of 4 or 5 years, even the imperators are somewhat large, but the bcc's i know are bigger, my boa is a handfull even around 6ft, but wouldnt trade her for the world, honestly there is so much cross breeding that you may never truely know the bloodlines of yours, could be a bcc and bci cross and get a bit bigger that a hogg, just be ready for anything as far as size goes i would say.

16. Merlin

You are responding to a post from January 2010!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.