This Disappears When Logged In

Need GTP Breeding Advice

Discussion in 'Green Tree Pythons' started by mercuryjwp, Jul 23, 2014.

1. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I currently have 2 gtp. One is only a baby and the other is a male 3 year old Aru. They are turning to my favorite snakes to work with. Im looking to get a female to breed. I know Aug-Jan. is breeding time. When would everyone recomend getting the female for breeding. I use a woodstove in the fall/winter and the house temps. do go up and down more than normal. Also if anyone has a female that takes f/t of breeding size, I may be interested.

Attached Files:

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Checkout faunaclassifieds.com. GTP's are often sold on there of all sizes.

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

If you're looking to breed you should already have the female as they need time to settle in. Most good breeders give them at least a year. Chondros don't breed like other snakes. If your temps are up and down it won't work for females. How long have you had the two?

4. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

the biak baby ive had for 6 months and the 3 year old Aru for 3 months. Id at least like to make a attempt to breed and the worst thing that could happen is they not breed.

- - - Updated - - -

yea im on there and kingsnake. They are the best 2 I know of. Craigslist you hardly ever see gtps

5. JoeyG

Without proper prep it will only stress the animals. There is quite a science to it.... you do know they are some of the harder reptiles to breed? Also feeding trials for chondro babies is tough. You're free to attempt and I certainly wish you well but IMO I think you need to wait so the animals are properly prepared and cared for. "The more complete chondto" by Greg maxwell is a must for anyone keeping these beautiful snakes

6. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

snakes 007.jpg snakes 010.jpg Ive heard that the breeding season is fall-jan. Ive also heard you can breed year around. ( I have hours at work to research different web site care sheets and watch youtube videos and none of the care sheets are you usually exactly the same.) If you can keep the temps the same year round and have thermostats to drop a degree a day to get them ready? Do they breed year around? Also, which one of these cages would you recomend for a adult female for a attempted breeding. 4x2x2 pvc with a radant heat panel and thermo. I have one like this which I would put 2 perches or I have another 18x18x24 exo terro exactly like the one I have the male in?

7. JoeyG

I would always recommend PVC. Yes they can breed when the right circumstances are met. Usually people who are starting g out need to get to know the animals. Stress is the main thing which is why breeders won't subject a female to it right away. I would still suggest you wait.

8. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

Thanks for the imput buddy. Im gonna get 1 more and let her settle in for a while before I attempt to breed. Im a regular on kingsnake and fauna, Do you know anything about S and S exotics? There is a 4 and half foot manok. gtp that I have my eye on to buy if nothing else comes up soon. Have you or know anyone who has done business with them? The google reviews werent good, but I never go by reviews to good because there are always people who like to complain and most of the time its there fault for not having proper care.

9. JoeyG

Truth be told I haven't heard good things. Best thing to do is go through breeders or someone's collection. Mvf forum has classifies and its still the best place to look. Imports often are sick and you take a huge chance introducing them into your collection

10. mercuryjwp

mercuryjwp Active Member

I found a nice 440 gram that was hatched in 2011. Ive heard that 600-1000 grams is breeding weight. In your or everyone else opinion how long a estimate till this snake might be ready to breed? Also I ordered the maxwell book.