This Disappears When Logged In

Need Advise on Grey Tree Frogs

Discussion in 'Tree Frogs' started by Steball, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steball

Steball New Member

Long story short, a small grey tree frog found its way into our home, landed on my wife's shoulder as she sat on the couch, and spooked the tarnation of her. His reward, a new habitat in a 10 gallon aquarium, and we named him Spook.

I know very little about frogs, but I'm doing the best I can to keep this little guy alive. From my research I know that he's a grey tree frog. I am assuming that it is a he because of the orange/red color on his belly/legs. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We'd like to get him a mate (opposite gender preferably). But I don't know the first thing about catching a frog. If I could find a grey tree frog at the pet store, I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea putting the two in the same tank.

I've been giving him feeder crickets, about 4 every other day. This seems to be working, but I'm wondering what kind of diet others would recommend.

Right now I don't have heat/sun lamp on the tank, but we keep where the thermostat is set, its within his comfort zone. Should I get him a lamp anyway?

I'm using potting soil with live plants, rocks and water bowl set into the soil to simulate a pond. I saw something on petsmart.com hydo-balls. They sugest using a water pump to create a water fall, so that the water flows trough the hydo-balls which helps to filter the water. I'm wondering if any has tried this, or would recommend it. I'm going to be transferring the little guy to a 30 gallon tank and was pondering different terrarium setups.

If anyone could help me with these questions, or be willing to share any other advise, I'd be very grateful. My wife and boys love this thing, so I'm trying my best to keep him alive for them. Thanks!!

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I hope you are using organic potting soil. I mix it with coco husk (eco-earth) to help with humidity. Tall tank is what a tree frog needs. You would have to quarantine the two frogs separately to be sure neither is ill. You can dust the crickets with calcium (purchase at the pet store or crush up calcium tablets intended for humans- much cheaper). If your frog calls, its male. They all have yellow legs. Variety in diet, I use dubias, crickets, mealies, and occasionally wax worms. I also have an organic compost heap and find the baby earthworms.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Just let him go.

4. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

I second schlegelbagel. Wild-caught reptiles are rarely very healthy, and depending on where you live, can be illegal. It's best to let him/her go.

It could be a gray treefrog or it could be a Cope's tree frog. It really depends on where you live. The difference is that Cope's are diploid and grays are tetraploid, which causes grays to have larger cells and a very different mating call. The orange color on the legs is indicative that it's either a gray tree frog or a Cope's, not whether or not it's male. Male grays will have a gray or black patch under their chin.

Also, 4 crickets every other day is waaaay too much for one frog. You can get away with one large cricket a week, but depending on its size, you might want to bump up your feedings or decrease them. One large cricket every other day would still be kind of a lot.

Grays are more often found near standing water rather than moving water. I'd save your money rather than spend it on an unnecessary waterfall thing.

From my experience at work, keep the humidity 50%-70% and the heat in the mid to upper 70Fs.

A few notes:

If you mix a bought frog with a caught frog, the bought frog could catch any parasites the caught frog has, and it'll decrease the life span of both of them. I recommend letting Spook go and finding a pet store near you that sells gray tree frog. If you live somewhere like my state where it's illegal to own normal phases of native wildlife, there are a couple other species of gladiator frogs (genus Hyla) like the grays to look for. Green tree frogs are particularly common, fairly easy to care for and are pretty funny to watch.

Finally, you will regret it if you hold Spook and then rub your eyes. Actually, just try to avoid touching him/her at all. Be very careful about that, if you have to touch him/her, they secrete an irritant from their skin. If you notice that she's/he's stressed when you pick him/her up (tried getting away, is more slippery than when you first picked him up), wash your hands ASAP and still avoid touching your eyes for a few days.

We just finished field season with these guys, and one of the other lab assistants rubbed his eyes after washing his hands off after capturing grays. He couldn't see for 15 minutes and threw up a few times from the pain.

5. Steball

Steball New Member

Thanks for the input YO!!

Here are some pictures of Spook, and his tank. I just picked up a 55 gallon tank from a friend--much larger than the 10 gallon he's in now. I'll have it cleaned and set up for him soon. Then he'll have more room. As well I'm trying to figure out how I can construct a screened frame to set over the tank to give him that much more height.

I'll have to make some calls tomorrow, and make sure that it is legal for me to keep this guy. As much as the family enjoys him, I wouldn't want to break any laws.

You say that most wild caught reptiles are not healthy. I think I'd have to disagree with you on this one. At night time he is very active, all over the tank, loves stalking crickets, and changes his colors very quickly as he moves around from soil to plant to rock to tiki head (which he loves to sit on).

The feeder crickets I'm using are rather small. I thought 4 might be excessive, but that was the recommended feeding that I've found on several sites. On a side note, I've also seen recommendations that any crickets not eaten after about 30 minutes should be removed from the tank. However, when I come back several minutes later, they're all gone. This is the diet he's had for about a month, and he seems to be doing very well. But is you still suggest I cut back, I'll do that.

No luck on a store bought after all. I've checked with local and not so local pet stores. Nobody sells a GTF. I've seen them around the property though, I'll just keep looking. I really think he should have a friend. If/when I manage to catch another one, should I still keep the two separated for a while?

As far as handling him, I already knew that was a bad idea. He doesn't come out of the tank. But we all enjoy observing him throughout the day/night. As far as being nervous, resulting in extra secretions, I can't say that I've noticed any of that. Even when I've had to move him from one container to another (which I've done a few times trying to improve on his environment) he doesn't seem to try to escape, get really slippery or anything like that. ...Maybe this guy is just a one of kind.

How about a lamp? The room temp stays around 77-78, and Oklahoma humidity stays pretty high anyway. Should I add a lamp?

Thanks,
    Steball

Attached Files:

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

OK a 55 gallon makes it much better. You need way more cross branches and cover for him. Think TREE. And cover up three sides of the glass with some sort of paper or aquarium back ground. They don't really understand glass too much. This will also help him feel more secure.

you need to change out your substrate for an organic potting soil for your new tank. Those little white balls in your current soil are not good.

I find with frogs you have to bend the rules with leaving the crickets in there. Add a big piece of carrot into the tank, so the crickets have something to eat. A frog generally won't over eat, so don't worry about that. Give him as much as he wants. The prey he eats should be about the size as the width between his eyes. Frogs can get down decent sized prey.

You can follow this care sheet for a green tree frog, its the same care.
    Amphibian Care >> Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) Care

7. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

The screened top might make it difficult to control humidity, but if it's consistently as humid as you say it is, it might not be a problem.

Wild caught reptiles tend to carry intestinal parasites, is what I mean. If he's alert and hunting, that's great. Just watch his weight.

I thought you had been using large crickets, for some reason. What you've been doing is probably okay or on the over-feeding side of things, but if he's active, it should be okay. It is fun to watch them hunt the larger crickets, though, and they swallow less dirt if their prey is bigger.

It sounds like your temps are okay as they are, no lighting necessary. You might want to get an aquarium lamp or something if he's not in a room that's lit from the outside very well, just to preserve his diel cycle.

8. Flizzi

Flizzi New Member

You could feed him some meal worms!

9. Rae

Rae Elite Member

I have 4 Greys all Wild caught... 3 were kinda rescues.

First off DO NOT feed you frog only once a week...and DO NOT Give them large crickets -facepalm- Ignore that post please!!!!!

Many people feed them 3 to 4 every other day... I recommend 2 daily as they would eat daily in the wild. Only feed crickets thet are the distance between the frogs eyes or SMALLER! Gut load them and dust them regularily.

Water source make sure is Natural Spring water or treated Tap water with Repti safe or Auquatize to make sure the tap water wont be harmful. Do not use distilled... untreated tap... or water that goes through a water softner. The water dish should be changed daily and shallow... Tree frogs do not need deep water and CAN drown... my dish is a kept so if the frogs are in it there heads are still above water.

I Do not recommending use potting soil many have fertilizers... Eco earth, Coco Fiber, Reptile safe plantation soil is fine without Soil. Be careful if useing Moss... only use sheet moss if you do as Spagmum moss is very loose and can cause impaction if the frog gets some while hunting.

Crickets are the best staple diet unless you are able to get roaches (illegal in Canada). Greys seem to love Moths XD. Meal worms I would avoid.. they have very little nutrition and can cause impaction... use earth worms/nightcrawlers if you want to feed worms. Just make sure you cut them to the appropriate length.

Greys do not need extra heating or lighting for the most part but My Greys LOVE IT! I have Exo Terra 2.0 Repti Glo UVB bulbs in my terrarium hood and all day they sleep under the lights on a branch. I have read many Greys like it as well. Keep temps between 70 to 80 (can lower to 60 at night) and humidity around the same.

If you keep him through the winter be prepared to be his forever home. Do not release him in spring... do it now or not at all.

Males yes CAN have darker throats but not always... The ONLY sure way besides a DNA test for sexing Greys is... MALES CALL!!! Not always and usually more so in spring... but if it calls its not a female... So unless he calls for you it may be a female.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This thread is almost four months old... They probably have worked out a solution.

11. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Oh I forgot to add... IF you happen to buy another or find one... do not put them together right away!

Wild or Store bought you need to put the new one in quarantine for a minimum of 30 days... some recommend longer. You can monitor feeding, pooping, activity, weight, of the new one before putting them together reducing the chance of adding a sick frog to the healthy and causing both issues. IMPORTANT!!!! Watch the sizes... larger frogs will eat smaller. ONLY put together frogs of the SAME species and CLOSE as possible to the same size!!!!

You could house up to 5 in that 55 gallon as long as you have enough hiding and climbing perches that they are all happy XD. Rule of thumb 1 frog per 10 gallons MIN!!! More if you ever get Whites/Dumpys as they are larger.

12. Rae

Rae Elite Member

Sorry it was on today's posts... still good info for others inquireing I guess lol

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And the original poster has not been back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.