This Disappears When Logged In

Need Advice From The Community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GLOW, Apr 19, 2018.

1. GLOW

GLOW New Member

Hi there, I need advice. I am selling a snake online and this is the first time doing so. I have a beautiful Albino Northern Pine snake, and I need to sell him. So, I posted him on kingsnake.com for $200 +shipping. All of a sudden, my email blew up. Apparently everyone wants this snake. My post was pretty vague, so I'm thinking about adding more information about the snake. Like how aggressive he is, and sometimes not easy to handle. Anyways, I was told that I should try to get more money out of him since there are so many people trying to buy him.
    What does the community think I should do?
    Should I just sell him to the first individual who wants him?
    Or should I raise the price and put more information about him on there?
    I want him to go to a home that can care for him. And I also like money.
    I'm just at a dilemma. What does the community think?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have posted an ad with a stated price and then once you have gotten a response you jack the price up you can find yourself in legal trouble.

3. GLOW

GLOW New Member

Oh wow, I had no idea illegal. Well thank you for telling me that.

4. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I don't know that is necessarily illegal, but most people would consider it very shady. If you don't stand by the initial price you set you may find it very hard to find people willing to buy from you. I would respond to whoever contacted you first based on email date/timestamps, let them know about the aggressiveness and any other things that might turn them off. If they are no longer interested, just work your way down the list until you run out of interested parties or find a buyer. I would also strongly urge you in the future to include things like "hard to handle" or "picky eater" up front in the initial sale description as failing to do so can give a bad impression.

GLOW likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually it can have legal ramifications.
    The term is...bait and switch.

6. Atroxus

I am not a lawyer, so I won't argue the legality of it. However I do know that since the reptile keeping community is relatively small compared to many other hobbies, that poor sales practices can quickly give a person a bad reputation, so I stand by my suggestions on that basis.

GLOW likes this.
  7. GLOW

GLOW New Member

Well, thank you for the advice. It is appreciated. I just ended up selling him to the first person who contacted me about him. He is going to a good home that can handle him. That's all that matters.

Atroxus likes this.
  8. Atroxus

Happy to hear that. Congrats on the sale. :)