This Disappears When Logged In

Need a Little Help, Info Please.

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by SnakeLady0, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

I know no one here knows any information on Macklot's Pythons, but I need an estimate about how long it takes for python eggs to hatch.

As I mentioned in my "I am new" post, I thought my female was gravid; she was. At some point yesterday to this morning she laid a clutch of eggs. I am going to leave the eggs with her, but I need to know if I should remove the male. She is known to bite and I am afraid if I remove them she will not react well. The temperature in the tank is fine, humidity is around 90%.

So really I need to know should the male be removed? And how long till the eggs hatch?

Thank you
    Melissa

2. venus

venus Founding Member

I would definitely seperate the male and female. Here is the only link I could find about breeding/gestation.

Macklotscare

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Definitely remove the male. She will more than likely try to bite you when you go near her. A hook or golf putter will make it easier for you. The tank conditions sound great for maternal incubation. The only thing you will have to watch for is water droplets forming. Good luck and send some pics.
    Gary

4. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

Thank you Venus. That was more than I found.
    Later this evening I will try to get some pictures.

I now have to figure out what to do with my male. He is roughly 7.5 feet long and the only spare tank I have is a 20 gal. He will be cramped but I guess it will work for a few days.

5. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am still looking for some information for you. If I remember correctly, standard hatch time is 50-60 days, I am sure someone will correct me on that. I agree, that the male needs to be removed-most times, the male is removed once copulation is completed. I will continue to look for more info for you. Good luck with incubation.

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Thanks for having such interesting pythons and congrats on the egg laying, and good luck with the births!!!

7. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

David,
    Currently the male is in their water bowl and she is in her hidey hole. I probably would have removed him earlier, had I known. They get along great but I am worried if he tries to go in with her, she will attack him.
    The worst thing about this is I live in a small town and there isn't many people who know about snakes. A new store opened and the guy breeds snakes. He did give me some advice, but he doesn't know anything about Macklot's either. He did say he would be interested in a few of the babies. :)

8. David McConley

Hi, I hope I didn't come across as attacking you, because I wasn't. I was simply agreeing thsat he should be removed ASAP. The fear you have of her attacking the male is a very real possibility and one or both of them run the risk of being seriously injured. The reason I mentioned he should have been removed after copulation was because you suspected she was gravid. I am very anxious to see the eggs and eventually the babies-there are no ugly snakes. Again I am sorry if I came across as overly abrasive. :D

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Snakelady, you could also use a large sterilite container as a temp housing for the male. They make some pretty large ones with locking lids. Like this one but they do have one larger than this. 1990 - 116 Quart Ultra Storage Box You would have to reinforce the lid with additional locks or my favorite duct tape lol. You would just need to drill some somes for ventilation. Wal-mart, target etc has a good selection of them.

10. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

Thanks TamJam.

11. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

David, you didn't. This all came about so quickly, it surprised me. I suspected only a few days before she laid.
    I have a 120 gal tank that used to be a fish tank that I was going to move them do, but the lids aren't made yet.
    I truly didn't think you were attacking me or being abrasive.

Venus, that might work for a while until I can come up with a better idea, or my friend makes those lids for me. :D

I will be going in a few minutes to move him to the 20 gal tank (he is not going to be happy with me) and I will try to get a few pictures.

12. David McConley

Cool! I stand at the ready to assist In anyway I can!

13. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

Here are a few pictures. She was not to happy with me. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second photo was the last one I took and buy far the best one.