This Disappears When Logged In

Need A Bit Of Guidance

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by sydneygrace, Jun 20, 2014.

1. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

It might be larger but I know these work fine. You can always go bigger, it's your pets haha

2. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Yes, I am wanting to go the biggest I can afford.

Good to know. Are they escape artists?

3. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

I would LOVE to go to a reptile show!! But, we live in a rural area, so none are close by.

I think I will get a Cham after I have a couple more years (at least) of experience under my belt.

Out of my choices, which would you pick?

4. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Crested geckos are the houdinis of the reptile world.

I'm kidding... almost. They can be really fast and can be escape artists. A friend of mine named hers Goku because of how fast he moved.

5. CrazySnakeLady

What aeral said. They're quick, but not exactly escape artists. Just make sure the usual reptile precautions are there so they can't get out.

6. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

So, I've decided one thing! Going to get the 18x18x24 Exo Terra terrarium. I'd like to go bigger, but can't afford it ATM. I really like the look of this, plus the double doors which the zoomed terrariums don't have.

I have a question- what kind of lighting do I need? I want to provide the proper lighting for the gecko, but I also want to try my hand at live plants :)

Also, I am kind of thinking about taking a crested gecko out of the running, since they are fairly dull colored. But, I am not sure yet.

7. CrazySnakeLady

I think you need to decide on which gecko before we can surely tell you but I do not think you will need any special lighting unless the plants require it.

8. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

So, I decided on what species I will be getting! :D

9. CrazySnakeLady

Well, you can't post that without telling!

10. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

;)

I decided on a Tokay!

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Well, congratz on your choice, I was going to say crested due to the ease of care and lack of needing live food or special light, but tokays are cool. And I take it you either don't drive or are several hours from any major city, usually googling reptile show with the name of your city will bring up something, but you might have to drive a ways to get to it.

12. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

I looked on the list of retile shows on this forum, and the only one in our state was a couple months ago and about 6 hours away. None in the surrounding states, either.

I don't mind feeding live foods, or using special lighting, either :)

What place do you recommend I get my Tokay from? I would like to get a CB baby, and I want one from a good breeder that has nice colors. I was thinking about LLLReptile, but their tokays look pretty dull.

13. Micael13900

Micael13900 Active Member

You could probably keep a trio of cresties in either. I kept a trio of juveniles in my 55 along with a few dendrobates. Moved the cresties into a bigger tank eventually. Plus, they're really awesome because they can eat a prepared diet.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  14. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Thanks for the advice, but I decided on a Tokay :)