This Disappears When Logged In

Need A Bit Of Guidance

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by sydneygrace, Jun 20, 2014.

1. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Hi all, first post here obviously.

I am wanting to get back into the world of reptiles again after an un-intended break. (My beloved leopard gecko passed away, and then we moved. This was about 3-4 years ago.)

I have kept many frogs, a few geckos, and some insects. This time, I would like to try something new, which is why I am here :) I have been doing loads of research online, and have ready many helpful things on here, so I figured I should just make an account. I am open to almost any type of gecko or lizard. Currently, I could have a habitat that is 2 feet long and two feet wide, by three to four feet tall. Possibly a habitat that is 6 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet tall, but that will be most likely be used as my next fish tank (I am also an avid aquarist :) ) So for now, I will plan on the smaller of the two.

I live in eastern washington, so the natural climate is pretty dry, but the reptile will be housed in my bedroom which is in the basement, so it's nice and quiet and out of the way. It is a tad humid in there due to the fish tanks, but I can make the reptiles enclosure more humid if need be.

I don't mind if I get a look but don't touch reptile, but a reptile that would at least interact with me through the enclosure like my fish do would be great. I'm open to anything. :)

My two dream reptiles are a chameleon and an iguana. I know that cham's aren't suggested for beginners, so I will stay away for now as I want to take the best care of my pets as I can. I also know that I can't properly house a reptile that gets as big as an Iguana does, unless someone makes a mini version I don't know of ;)

I don't know if any of that was super helpful or not. If not, sorry for all the blah blah blahing.

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions :)

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

An enclosure that size could be a dream home for almost any arboreal gecko. A good 'beginner' gecko for that type of cage would be a Crested gecko. Anoles would do well in it, too. Cuban Knight anoles are pretty, and get bigger than green anoles, but nowhere near as big as Iguanas, are still arboreal and colorful, if a bit temperamental.

3. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Thank you for your reply :)

Which enclosure are you talking about? The larger of the two? I'm not 100% positive that will be available for reptiles, so right now I am planning on the smaller.

Crested geckos are very pretty, and I do like the fact that they will tolerate a bit of handling. Cuban Knight Anoles are pretty as well and look pretty cool.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm referring to the smaller enclosure.

Of course, if you really fall in love with a Crestie, they won't be upset with a 6 foot long cage, either.

5. safftaft

safftaft Well-Known Member

The smaller size you mentioned would be very good for a giant day gecko. They don't like to be handled much but 2x2x4 or 6 would be a good size for a single male or a pair.

6. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Awesome, thanks. I am sure they wouldn't. Would just one Crestie be best suited for the smaller enclosure?

- - - Updated - - -

I hadn't considered a Day Gecko before, the giants are very pretty as well.

7. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Any other suggestions, anyone?

What is everyone's preferred place to order their reptiles online?

8. aeral

aeral Elite Member

I love my leo, but aside from that I'd suggest a golden gecko or a panther gecko.

9. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

I've been tossing the idea around of another Leo, but I'd like something like a more jungle-like habitat :)

I *think* I've got it narrowed down to either a: day gecko, crested gecko, tokay gecko, an anole (either a knight or white lipped) or an electric blue dwarf gecko. Out of those which would y'all recommend?

10. aeral

aeral Elite Member

Crested geckos can make wonderful pets. My friend had a pair of them.

I've heard tokays are great too.

11. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

Just make sure if you go the tokay route you have patience! They can be snappy, but once tamed, amazing

12. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Yep, I've got plenty of patience. I like feisty animals, too :) So, if you had to pick one species, which would it be? I can't pick.

13. CrazySnakeLady

Personally I love Crested geckos and would vote for that. I have 2 and absolutely adore them! And everyone else melts when they see their adorable faces. They sure can have personality, and tolerate handling like you said you wanted(other than jumpy ones). Plus all the beautiful colors!

14. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

What size of EcoTerra or ZooMed terrarium would you suggest for how many?

15. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Hey. What part of Washington if you don't mind me asking... I live in northern idaho up in Coeur d'alene. Haha. Anyway I'm always bad with suggesting reptiles. Because every ones preferences are different. Based off you interest in the chameleon and the iguana id say water dragon maybe..? Correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't researched these guys in a long while. I wouldn't put them in the advanced area but I wouldn't put them in the very basic like leopard geckos. Now if I can remember correctly water dragons Get to be about 2 or 3 feet (I could be wrong) and need a good amount of room. Not as much room as a iggy. If say a chameleon cage or bigger would be good. Remember. The bigger the better. Sorry if this isn't a good suggestion. You could also try created geckos? They stay small as you probably know. I don't know. Sorry. I hoped I helped. I doubt I did. And anybody who disagrees with me feel free to let me know, I have pretty much lost most of my water dragon knowledge. Haha. I hope this made sense.

16. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Hey! We are about 45 minutes north-ish of Walla Walla! So, not super far from you!

I had considered a water dragon at first, but for now I would like to stick to something smaller and arboreal while I get back into the whole reptile thing. Right now a crested gecko is a strong candidate :)

17. CrazySnakeLady

Naturalistic Terrarium Crested Gecko Kit

This is the tank I have mine in, for one. They're nice and I've not had an escape, though I suggest getting Repashy instead of the food it carries. Also, if you get a baby, wait until they're bigger. You can start with a critter keeper with paper towels and toilet paper rolls (fancy)

18. sydneygrace

sydneygrace Member

Isn't that kinda small? I thought the suggested min. size was larger than that?

19. aeral

aeral Elite Member

That's about average size for what I've seen for 1 crested gecko, but I'm also of the opinion that you truly can't have too much space for your herps.

If you get crested geckos, make sure the terrarium is really secure.

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

My suggestion would be to find a local reptile show, or as local as you can get, and go see some stuff in person. That would probably go a long way in helping you decide. As for a specific suggestion, you already have quite a few good ones. Maybe do a bunch of reasearch on chams, while none are totally beginner animals, you do have some experience, and a lot of their issues are dependent on setup. Find a breeder for whatever you like, and ask some questions. Most don't mind answering a few emails or a phone call or two, and the ones who do aren't people you want to deal with anyway.