This Disappears When Logged In

Need A Bit Of Advice

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Leanne130, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Leanne130

Leanne130 Established Member

I have a corn snake (called shakira) she is a wee darling, so patient with me, I'm a new snake owner so I'm all new to this; but she really is helping me
    I'm not 100% sure of her age, it says on her feed sheet loads of dates of when she fed and shed, the date at the very top is 18/8/16 so I'm guessing that is her age; not too sure tho; i have been feeding her pinkies, 1 on a wednesday and 1 on a sunday; I visited my local pets at home and they said to maybe try her with a pinkie soon, she has got a lot bigger since I've had her, seems to be growing like crazy. I just want to make sure i have everything right, I have a terrarium; hear Matt under glass, thermostat and thermometer, she seems to always be on the cold side so I was so worried incase the hot side was too warm but it has never been past 30, she seems to always hide in her little coconut, but ive noticed that her colour has got a bit duller, i think she is going into shedding but I'm not to sure as she has no cover over her eyes, I'm just wondering; when and if i move her to fluffs, will only give her 1 a week or will I still continue her feeding pattern? Thanks guys; Leanne

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You should feed prey about as big around as the snake at its widest point.
    I agree with you. Sounds like an impending shed.
    The reason we give a thermal gradient so the snake can choose what temperature it needs.
    Can you put up pictures of the tank?

Leanne130 likes this.
  3. Merlin

Nevermind. Just saw your other post.

4. Leanne130

That's it in degrees does everything seem okay? I just want to make sure she is okay:) thank you so much for your help:D 1501595946748-1883450800.jpg 15015959833181102673806.jpg 1501595905447790274877.jpg

5. Leanne130

1501599718056-1435235816.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Merlin

I would add a second hide. Then the snake won't have to choose between heat and security.

7. Leanne130

Under that stick there is a hide like a big gap, she does curl up under there when cold and yeah think I was going to but should I get another coconut or will I get a different one?

8. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

It is not gonna matter to the snake what kind of hide you get as long as it is a snug fit and it feels secure. You could probably make one out of Tupperware until you need to go to the store and buy one. lol I live almost an hr from a petstore so I just shop online, sometimes I improvise

9. Leanne130

Thanks very much:p I cleaned her out there and she's a bit skittish, think I've annoyed her enough today:( I will go and see what they have and yeah me too my closest one is an hour away where i got her, and get her nice and everything else for her, she's still not too sure about me she's very nervous but will come around soon;
    Also sorry could you help me again? She's eating pinkies 1 on a wednesday and one on a Sunday, but I think she is hungry still, earlier on she was following my finger about on the inside of her tank.. when I visited the store yesterday he said maybe to try her with a fluff, but do I only feed her 1 of them 1 time a week or continue her feeding pattern? Sorry for bothering you:oops:

10. Jay1718

Feed prey as big around as the snakes wisdest point. People feed in different schedules. I can't tell how big the snake actually or how old it is. I feed my king snake every week to two weeks two large mice.
    I don't handle snakes until 48 hrs after they have eaten, some people day a day I can't wait two just to be safe. So I wouldn't feed today if she has eaten Sunday. I don't know if you feed in the tank or not. I have a feeding tub mine eats in because I don't want her to injest any bedding.
    I would try a fuzzy mouse, if it is the appropriate sized meal. You will get the feel for how much and how often to feed.
    In my opinion corns and Kingsnakes are the simplest reptiles to care for and they make great pets.

11. Leanne130

That k you jay:) you have been big help; I will feed her a few more pinkies then next couple weeks I will try a fuzzy; no I haven't handled her very much at all I only got her the 18th of July since then I've handled her 1 time properly and yeah I have waited 48hrs; yeah I started feeding her in her tank and i had noticed she had got bedding stuck and I knew this wasn't happening so I bought the tongs and I will try her with them tomorrow:D I love her so much and I'm pretty sure she hates me:( always runs away from me and try to escape but thank You

I think I might change her substrate, she has beech chip in but i seen her trying to dig down to the bottem and seen that she couldn't and i know that a corn snake burrows; feel sorry for her not being able to so I'm going to change substrate; any advice on which one, what about aspen?

12. Merlin

Aspen has always been my choice.

Leanne130 and Jay1718 like this.
  13. Jay1718

I use aspen most of the time. It was the only thing I used for years. I haven't had any issues with it. I like to use lighter colored substrate because it is easier to spot clean.

Leanne130 likes this.
  14. Leanne130

Thanks again you have been big help:D

15. Leanne130

Thank you so much for all the help yous you have been superstars

16. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Better to feed bigger meals less often, same girth as the snake once a week should do the trick (colubrids metabolize fast) I would try fuzzies, maybe hoppers... try fuzzies first, offer one, then if she still seems like she wants more offer another. If they take two of anything in a row then it's probably time to go the next size up for next time.

Leanne130 likes this.
  17. Leanne130

What happens if it's bigger than her head? I was advised not to feed her on the second day I got her and I tried her and she took it and didn't regurgitate it? She was fine

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, so long as it`s not too much bigger than the size of the snake`s head it should be fine, they are adapted to swallowing large prey items, they can dislocate the jaws and push the glottis forward so they can still breath while ingesting.

Leanne130 likes this.
  19. Leanne130

Thank you very much; big help I will try

20. Leanne130

I think I will try her with aspen?
    And when I changed her bedding earlier I put damp napkins in the cold side right down at the glass, then put bedding over the top and dampened her coconut, a bit of condensation was over the glass, which has all cleared up now, was this because of changing water and bedding?
    I give her bottled water as I had read a lot of confusing posts saying that tap water was bad for them and that it would make her sick, and you had to leave it for 24hrs before? Is this true I'm so confused as to what to listen too; I'm so sorry for bothering you again, you are going to be like when is this girl gonna leave me alone:D I'm sorry i just want to make sure that I'm doing everything right and that she's happy:)