This Disappears When Logged In

Naturalistic Setups and Bioactive Substrates........

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by jaysin, May 15, 2012.

1. jaysin

jaysin Elite Member

Who uses them? With what species? What are your overall opinion of them and why?

Nelson's Milk Snakes
    IMG_20120514_190821.jpg

Leopard Geckos
    100_0748-1.jpg

Ridge Tailed Monitors
    100_1697.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi jaysin,
    I`ve always liked having "naturalistic" enclosures, but the main consideration must always be that the conditions inside support the animal/s, if not, "natural" doesn`t mean a thing!
    Using stones/rocks, real branches, soil etc, IS natural to the captives, if I can arrange them so it`s pleasing to the eye also, then why not?
    Nothing wrong with a plain ordinary piece of plywood as a basking shelf, or plastic pipes as tunnels, they serve their purpose.
    EDIT: You asked which species; a number of Varanid species, Blue tongue and Stumpy tailed skinks, Aussie water dragons, Bearded dragons, Carpet pythons, Green tree snakes, etc.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I have used them for Uromastyx, Ackies and Blackheads.
    People don't realize the effectiveness of bugs in keeping an enclosure clean.
    Naturalistic are the only way to go in my opinion for ALL reptiles.
    Proper substrate in itself is necessary in providing optimum health for all. Some can do without I suppose and they seem to do quite well on tiles. But why would you not supply a burrowing animal with the opportunity to burrow? Instead forcing it to live above ground unnaturally.
    These species usually spend more time underground than above.
    Just my thoughts.

4. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I use them for the following- monitors, crested geckos, tokay geckos, Turner's geckos, electric blue day/cave geckos, flying geckos, emerald tree boas, green tree pythons, amazon tree boas, tegus, Cuban knight anole.....

I enjoy the look of them, the smell, the easy maintainance, and the overall health of the reptiles I keep in them.

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I use naturalistic set ups for all of my anoles (sagrei, cristatellus, distichus, and equestris), my savannah monitor, my box turtle, and my tree frogs.

But not for my burmese python.

To me, naturalistic includes actual live trees, live plants, branches, soil, sand, ponds, and cork bark. :)