This Disappears When Logged In

Native Beardie Plants!

Discussion in 'Desert' started by Hide Clyde, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

rbl - I just thought of this, make a collar that fits around the plant covering most of the dirt for the plant. For grass like plants I could use hardware cloth (A sort of 1/2 inch wire mesh) and again a collar fitting as close as I could get. I think it would help keep the humidity down in the cage while keeping the plant alive. That beardies like to dig also gives me the idea to provide a place where it could dig to it's hearts content and not mess up the rest of the enclosure. I'll have to think some more on that! I still have the "Thousands of little Crickets" running through my head.

2. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

The cup lids with the hole in the middle (for a straw) they use in McDonalds and fast food places could do the trick, no?
    Anyway, I don't believe you can keep the humidity down just by covering the dirt because most of it will come from the plants themselves. Keeping the plants in the cool side of the enclosure and uncovering the top is probably enough to control humidity.

If you plan to give the beardie a place to dig, you must ensure he can't eat any of it.

As for the crickets running around, with that sort of enclosure I wouldn't release any crickets into it. I would feed the beardie using a separate container (putting the beardie and crickets inside a big plastic container).

3. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

rbl - I thought the "lid" for the plant would help keep in the humidity in the soil and help keep any digging lizard out. Yes I will still get some humidity from the plant, but with central heating and air conditioning it is usually pretty dry anyway. I was always fighting to keep the humidity up with my chameleon.

What can you use so they can dig, but still can't eat it?

I have been thinking that I would feed crickets that way. The idea of thousands loose sort of lead me that way quickly!

Had any luck on the plant list yet?

4. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Humm... Maybe with CE and AC it will dry out the beardie enclosure even with plants and wet soil... remember you want to keep it between 10 and 30%.
    Plants exhale a lot of humidity through the leaves but maybe these species don't since they are from a dry place.

I can't think of any material suitable to dig but uneatable. If you want to provide some fun activity for the beardie, digging is not the better one. Beside, it will make a mess of the enclosure. A hammock and net to climb may be a better choice. Take a look at the Zoomed site.

I haven't yet done anything with the list. My hard disk died last week so my computer time is limited to the breaks I can get in my wife's computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.