This Disappears When Logged In

National Library Week Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Colleen, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Well, most of you know I'm the librarian at a elementary school and in the mail the other day I got a catalogue for National Library Week, their theme hit home. "Catch the Bug....Read". I planning on using this theme, but I don't know how crazy I want to get. Since we are all "Bug" people or close enough any suggestions would be appreciates. My library is about 40' x 60' and I'm trying to come up with decoration ideas. I can also have the use of 2' x 3' displays in many of the classroom if I want to spread this through the school. Also any program ideas would be great also!

Thanks in advance!

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I wish I could help Colleen,,,,but bugs are just not my thing. I know many of our members are very into it (Matt comes to mind).

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hmmm...did we ever get pics of our post cards? ;)

Bring in some a bunch of different 'feeders' for the kids to watch, read the hungry little caterpillar or that one about the ladybug...

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

go and get 3000 feeder crickets and let them loose... when the noise gets to much for them they will have to catch the bugs... i could create a book on catching bugs...and then they would read it!!!! It has to work? catch the bug....Read!

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Good time to teach the kids about metamorphasis. I could think of a number of interesting projects and books you could use for that.

When I was in elementary school, we got paired up and we were each given a mealworm, which we took care of until it turned into a beetle. That was a lot of fun.

Ant farms are fun, too. Ants are pretty interesting creatures, and it would be neat to tech the kids about how some ants farm, and how they build their intricate colonies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.