This Disappears When Logged In

My Wife's New Veiled Chameleon :)

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Andyc3020, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I really hate coming into the middle of a discussion like this and not knowing all the details. However, I am very familiar with some of the symptoms and the causes.

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

He is in the back room away from where we are most of the time. In the same room as my timor monitor. Both are very shy so we leave him alone most of the time. There is so much conflicting information about chameleons. I am half way convinced the air flow thing is a myth and the only reason they need screen cage is to avoid their own reflection. I have two computer fans i can hook up if I need to though. What is the scientific reason for needing air flow? I have seen him eat two crickets and he has crickets and fruit flies in his cage now.

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

They need constant air flow to prevent contant high humidity. Give them constant high humidity and he will get RI.

Again, they do not need a screen cage.

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly what poison said. It's important that you get him out of the fish tank...

5. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

10JulAndersonGlass

very interesting article about mesh vs. glass cage.

Looks like air flow is important especially in tall cages. Since I am using a 20 gal. long tank, there should be plenty of airflow according to this article anyway.

Having said that, I am going to hook up one of my computer fans as a puller fan to get more air flow. And like I said, I'm going to be finishing his screen cage this weekend.

I really appreciate everyone's input and advice. :)

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

The Bradypodion (the chams in the first 2 pics ) you see in that article have since past away do to RI. They need much more air flow then a panther or veiled

Als as you can see, he is using exo terras and the other enclosure have vents in them. All of his cages have good air flow.

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

yes sir/ma'am . I read the whole thing and it does talk about the importance of ventilation. I guess I just associate ventilation with loss of humidity. It is just counterintuitive as a reptile guy to use screen. I'm sure you understand. Don't worry, I'll take care of him.

8. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

I got my cham when she was about 3 weeks old and she uas lived in a glass viv her entire life and she is doing great but I do use usb fans.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Air circulation and proper humidity is the key. However, It is a challenge to achieve both in a small enclosure. The smaller the enclosure, The more difficult it is.

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Growing growing growing... Healthy little guy. Thanks for the tips everyone :)

ZAFuIZJ.jpg

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

his cage is on the right... not setup the way i want it yet.. .still need a drainage system and a lot more plants.

If you are wondering, my v. auffenbergi's cage is on the left

Cf0SMDF.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I re-decorated today. Much better :)

I still want to put some real plants on the bottom. that's why its kinda open down there.

before:
    xcapzMU.jpg

After:

(it's more cluttered than it looks in this pic)
    YguQn6N.jpg

you can't see how many different size stick are in there now. It is pretty cluttered. Hendrix seems happy.

aFq1Cs5.jpg

13. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

Impulse buys are the best ;]! ccongrats

14. suad

suad Member

Where is your Drip Cup so he can hydrate ?
    Very important !!
    Beautiful cage you built though!

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

there doesn't have to be a drip cup. He laps it off the leaves. The humidifier creates plenty of condensation. The bottom of the cage is sealed with plastic and has a drain hole.

16. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

YguQn6N.jpg

just realized this pic didn't upload correctly lets try again.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

very nice.

18. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

He is growing so fast!

8MEV80D.jpg

vr9kLaz.jpg

19. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I just realized we have had Hendrix for exactly 4 months today. :) so i guess he is about 5 months old.

oy75q2V.jpg

he isn't in such a great mood today... or ever haha :(

- - - Updated - - -

UCmNR32.jpg

20. aProffitt19

aProffitt19 New Member

He is so awesome! I love the cage setup, too! I have a female Veiled Chameleon and she's about a year old and she's pretty moody as well. Especially when I invade her turf to clean up her cage lol.