This Disappears When Logged In

My Wife's New Veiled Chameleon :)

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Andyc3020, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

CAM00344.jpg

My wife's new veiled chameleon "Hendrix" from Repticon today. He is 4-6 weeks old and about 2" long It was a bit of an impulse buy since I didn't expect her to get excited about any lizard.

We are keeping him in a 20gal long tank right now, with a lot of small branches and fake leaves but I am going to build a screen cage this week. Probably 48x24x48.

he has a basking temp of 90 degrees F. Does that sound about right? He has uvb from a bulb.

We have been told to feed him 1/4" crickets. Should I give him more diverse diet?

Attached Files:

2. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Cute little guy you got there :)

3. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

Is it normal for a youngster to have his ribs showing?
    He's adorable :) I hope he eats well for you

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

He seems healthy. Not really sure if the ribs are normal. I can't wait to see him eat though. Trying to decide if it is worth building my own cage or if I should buy one from petco for $100.00

5. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

Building is a ton of fun, but the huge exo-terras are a dream to use and lovely to look at.
    I guess it's normal? I have no idea haha :p I know it's normal in crested gecko babies but that's about it. As long as he doesn't act stressed out and he's eating for you I don't think it's an issue (I'm learning myself)

6. prjwh081810

prjwh081810 Member

I work at petsmart and out of all the chams I see, they always look hungry. I do believe its normal and if you pay attention to most anoles, their ribs show too

7. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

That is what I figured. Hopefully it will be easy to find 1/4" crickets close by.

8. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

I'm using an zoo med 10.0 fluorescent screw in type bulb now for uvb. Is this going to be strong enough for his 48x24x48 cage? I'm thinking I should get an incandescent bulb.

Just to clarify, this is a separate bulb than his basking lamp.

9. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

also, how often should I dust the crickets with calcium at this age? and will that change as he gets older?

10. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

anyone? :)

11. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Another question: Is it really that important to keep him in a screen cage? The guy at the repticon said it was, so my wife insists on me rushing to make a new cage out of screen to get him out of the glass one he is in now. Hope someone finds my questions.

12. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes its important to keep them in a screened enclosure.

13. Poison

Poison Elite Member

IMO a screen enclosure is unnecessary. However they do need a good air flow. I would go with an all wood enclosure with a vent on the lower front section and a vent on the top, back. This is similar to how exo terras work. And I know people who have kept and bred panthers and veileds in these type of setups.

14. Thelizardking77

Thelizardking77 New Member

I use the Zoo-Med 5.0, tube light it only radiates 12" maximum, so as long as he's able to get up to that height he will be fine. That seems like a lot of UVB output for a Veiled, but i'm NOT an expert, just been doing it for a while. Be careful with that cage size, chameleons don't do well in huge cages when they are that small, it stresses them out. I would try something like 12"x12"x18" while he's that small. An adult does well in a cage about 2'x2'x3. YEs give him a mulit-vitiamin, and calcium 2 x's a week, then change to once a week or so as adults.

15. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

thanks for the advice. I think we are going to keep him in the 20gal for a while. I'm going to build the 4'x2'x4' and put him in when he gets a little older. Just like anything else bigger is usually better but I just want to keep track of what he is eating and it is a lot easier in a smaller enclosure.

16. Poison

Poison Elite Member

What is a "while"? These guys grow VERY fast.

17. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Oh only until he need a bigger cage. I'll finish his cage this weekend, so it will be ready when he is. On another note, I just tong fed him and that was the first time I saw him eat. That was AWESOME! I wish my timor monitor would eat from tongs. I have had him for a few months and still have never seen him eat.

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Feed Hendrix as much as he will eat. He's more than a bit skinny. On the other hand, He or she, should not be the star attraction in your household. I'm not saying that it is. However, Chameleons lack the ability to share space peacefully. They will bow up and hiss at a fly! They're best kept in an isolated area away from any distractions such as a basement closet.

19. Poison

Poison Elite Member

That is 100% male. Look at the spurs on his back feet. And I agree, feed him as much as he will take. Try cup feeding him.

20. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You should get him out of the glass fish tank asap. They need air circulation and you just aren't getting that in a fish tank.