This Disappears When Logged In

My WD Demitrius

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by zetec7, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

I've been asked for more pics...so, here they are. There's one showing some of his new enclosure (with him peaking at me), a couple showing his "attitude", and one showing him sound asleep, hanging from the back wall of his enclosure...he stayed like that all night!

Attached Files:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Yup, I was wanting more of the enclosure lol. Looks awesome, he's a cutie :)

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Looks like a great setup!

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That's quite the set up there! Good job :)
    Great name too what a happy looking dragon.

5. Justinsane8000

Justinsane8000 Active Member

What did you use to simulate a rock for the back wall?

6. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

The back wall is simulated rock and is actually painted styrofoam...it comes fitted in the new "Exo Terra" brand (distributed by Hagen) tank. Demitrius loves this stuff. He climbs it all the time, right to the top of the enclosure, and scrabbles back and forth on it. When he's hungry, especially, he does this, to get our attention, because it makes a lot of noise. He's got us trained just the way he wants us;)

I looked at doing this kind of back wall myself, using blue builder's insulation foam board and a latex-based imitation-rock spray paint, with a clear waterproof sealant on top. I tried making a sample piece, and it worked really well, but then we spotted this tank, and well... The entire front of the tank is composed of two hinged glass doors with a closure catch, except for the bottom 6" or so, which is waterproof. It makes it easy to reach in and pick Demitirius up, and also for cleaning his water, putting in food, etc.

7. schlegelbagel

Its a really nice tank. Do you have a link to just it/the maker of the tank. I'm interested.

8. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

You can view some of their products at Exo Terra - Make Your Reptiles Feel At Home. I think these enclosures are a fairly new product, as I hadn't seen them prior to a month ago or so (at least, not in the pet shops around here). Surprisingly, we found these in a small local pet store (where we buy crickets, superworms, etc), rather than the big-box pet stores like PetSmart.

I would expect that these tanks can be ordered by any pet store that carries Hagen products. I really like this tank - even the screened top is designed with sliding closures on slots at the back for wires to go through, etc. They are specifically designed to be used as lizard tanks, and are not just converted fish tanks. So far, I'm impressed and so, apparently, is Demitirius.

9. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

Now the gray rock wall at the bottom, that forms the land for his enclosure, that's another story. Believe it or not, that's made of simulated-slate interlocking plastic lawn edging pieces that I found at Wal Mart! I figured out how to cut them for a custom fit, and to stack them to give more height & a fair bit of land area. The main area of land is about 7 or 8" high, with a couple of terraces. This stuff makes a non-porous, easily cleanable surface, and can be removed in one piece when if want to empty the whole tank for cleaning. Plus, bugs can't burrow in it, or hide from Demitrius. He appreciates that - he can get grumpy when his food eludes him!

10. sapphirerain74

sapphirerain74 Elite Member

Out of curiosity - do we know for certain that Demitrius is a male? I really could never tell the difference with Emmie when I compared her between males and females until right before she laid a clutch of eggs and that sort of sealed it for me.

11. schlegelbagel

OK, now I'm confused, because that's just exo-terra, and i can't find anything on their website that lists anything big enough for a water dragon! The largest they list is 34" x 18" x 24". I wonder if its a Canada vs. US thing.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No Liz I do beleive that's about the size of it.

13. schlegelbagel

Well that's not big enough! That's only 63 gallons.

14. venus

venus Founding Member

I totally agree which is why I was trying to get pics of the whole set up.

15. schlegelbagel

16. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

Wow, everything including the kitchen sink! It looks wonderful!

17. sapphirerain74

I actually looked everywhere for the exo-terra terrarium that is big enough for a WD and cannot find it either. So, I figured it had to be too small - which sucks. I really hate when someone gets excited about the pad they've created for their WD just to find out that it's not going to cut it. I'm sure that's a huge disappointment. When I got my WD, I did the research and was able to get the large enclosure to be prepared. Even though Emmie was just another little green lizard (sorry, couldn't help it... LOL) - her space was sufficient to home Godzilla. :)

18. sapphirerain74

Oh, every time I search for a large enclosure - it seems that the largest sizes available are for chameleons - which doesn't work for the WD. I see all these people sticking iguanas in ferret cages - but, the WD would really damage their snouts with that. Zoey is my rescue and she had been kept in a rabbit hutch - she has horrible damage including a portion of her upper and lower jaws. I have had her for a year now, and although she is doing well, I am always afraid of infections. If I notice anything out of the ordinary - it's off to the vet. I've heard of WDs dying from these infections and I really want my girl to be ok.

19. DragonPaw

DragonPaw Elite Member

Demitrius looks very much like a she to me... Hope you have a laybox ready.

And I agree with the others... That enclosure is too small.

20. zetec7

zetec7 Active Member

Unfortunately, I went with the instructions given in the WD care sheet, which advises that they need an enclosure twice their length. His new one is easily more than twice his size, but if I need one at least 6' long, but that's impossible for me, as I just don't have anywhere to put one anywhere near that big. It's really unfortunate, as he seems to be an extremely healthy, happy and friendly WD.

At this point, based on what you're telling me, it appears I don't have any choice but to part with Demitrius. I'll be very sad to see him go. We've had a good year together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.