This Disappears When Logged In

My Trip (iguanas in St. Thomas, Anoles and Geckos

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by DustinQ, Aug 27, 2012.

1. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Wild Iguanas in St. Thomas
    DSCN1055.jpg DSCN1066.jpg DSCN1009.jpg DSCN0996.jpg DSCN1005.jpg DSCN1031.jpg DSCN1050.jpg DSCN1057.jpg DSCN1072.jpg

Anole and house gecko? they're all over the wall at night near the light 2012-08-14_13-39-30_792.jpg 2012-08-14_21-33-20_288.jpg 2012-08-14_13-39-21_925.jpg

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, great shots! I'm so jealous:cool:

Were you on a cruise or did you stay in St. Thomas?

3. justor

justor Elite Member

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :)

4. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Cool photos! Did you get any photos of the anoles' dewlaps? :)

5. snakevenom

snakevenom Well-Known Member

love the photos its cool that they have two species of iguanas there.

6. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

They're all green iguanas in these pictures

7. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

The others are Green Anoles :p

8. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

cruise. it was my first time. Absolutely loved it although I was seriously repremanded for handling the Iguanas. They are quite germaphobic. Threatened to quarantine me for the rest of the trip! I assured them that salmonella wasn't as serious as everyone makes it out to be (don't actually know that just didn't want to be quarantined) they called it syphilis

9. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

I think he's probably referring to the coloration of the iguanas. I really hope he can tell the difference between an Iguana and an anole. That little bright green iguana was the only one there that I saw that was green. the others were the dull gray/olive, black and almost all of them had red noses and mouths (assuming from being in salt water all the time.)

10. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

sorry didn't get any pics of extended dewlaps. had snap a quick picture and run. I was getting left behind by my group. Got to swim with green turtles! they're my favorite. didn't bring a waterproof camera :(

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Syphilis from iguanas. Thats a new one!

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Great photos, where is St. Thomas?

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Aw! Too bad! :) but that's super cool that you were able to swim with the turtles! :)

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That sounds like a fun trip!

15. SSThorn

SSThorn Elite Member

Virgin Islands, Carribean.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You'll have to bring that underwater camera for the next cruise! :)

And get photos of the anoles dewlaps for Aja as well

17. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

It may be a legitamate possibility? I've been doing a bit of research since this seemingly rediculous claim

How Often Do Animals Get STDs? | Animal Intelligence | DISCOVER Magazine

STDs in animals and humans have a historical relationship. "Two or three of the major STDs have come from animals," says Alonso Aguirre, a veterinarian and vice president for conservation medicine at Wildlife Trust. "We know, for example, that gonorrhea came from cattle to humans. Syphilis also came to humans from cattle or sheep many centuries ago, possibly sexually." The most recent, as well as the deadliest, STD to migrate to humans is HIV, which hunters acquired from the blood of chimpanzees, says Aguirre. The disease became transmissible from one person to another through semen and other bodily fluids after it had spread to the human population.

The most common sexually transmitted disease among animals today is brucellosis, or undulant fever, which is common among domestic livestock and occurs in mammals including dogs, goats, deer, and rats. A bacterial infection that can be treated with antibiotics, the disease can be transmitted sexually or otherwise; for example, groups of cattle often eat the placenta of a spontaneously aborted fetus, and they can acquire the disease that way. Symptoms of the disease include miscarriage, inflammation of the testes, and uterine infections. Humans can contract brucellosis through drinking contaminated milk or through direct contact with infected animals.

CDC - Salmonella

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But they are talking about transference in warm blooded hosts. Reptiles to human would be a whole different scenario.
    And since the way to transmit syphilis is pretty specific, the likelihood of gettig it from an iguana is pretty far out there to begin with.