This Disappears When Logged In

My Tiger Salamander is Sick!!!

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by CrystalD1, Dec 5, 2012.

1. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

Hello, I have had a couple of tiger salamanders for a bit over a year now they have been good sense I figured out how to really take care of them. But for about a month now one of them has not been eating nor moving much. He is bent in a c shape and randomly swims in spiral like motions with his head to the top of the water. I cant figure it out. Originally I thought it was just changing again like when I figured out that they were not sick when they lost their gill things. But its gotten worst and worst and when he is ready to shed he does not do it himself the other one pulls his skin off for him. Nobody knows anything about them here in my area and I do not know what to do with him. :-( Please help
    Thank you
    Crystal

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Please describe your setup and post pictures of it and you salamanders thank you!

3. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

I got a reptile aquarium for them, it has water in it and little creek rock I try to keep half of the aquarium out of the water but they dig and it drops under except for the little log thing i have in there for them to get on top of. I keep a heat lamp over them too. I am not sure how to post pics but will work on that in a minute, I also buy feeder fish and throw them in there with them on top of the newt pellets I buy for them.

4. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

5. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

The first pic is of my healthy salamander the second and third pics are of the sick one as you can see he is quite a bit darker and is curled up his underbelly is greenish as well. and the fourth pic is how i have them set up. Fyi the big rock looking thing is not solid it is just a thing they can climb up on and hide under. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Crystal

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

can't see the photos, not good enough quality. Anywho:

They need a solid substrate, like moss or coconut fiber, not a frog setup. Try looking here: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander
    And here;
    Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

And change the setup accordingly, and if it does not improve, the only thing i could think of is a vet.

i have not been keeping mine for long, but i did do a lot of research and this seems like a habitat issue to me. Most things are when it comes to reptiles and amphibians. Hope someone else who has been keeping these for longer will chime in and help.

7. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

thank you for your help I will try changing the environment and food to worms rather than fish and pellets and see how that helps. I didn't go out and buy these guys for myself they were given to me and now I love them just i am just not familiar to how they need to be kept and I have been told so many different ways to take care of them by pet stores its really gotten confusing. Any other info on these guys would be great.
    Thank you,
    crystal

8. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

sorry about the quality btw I dont have a good camera.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Another thig is they have very delicate skin and shouldn't be handled too often as they can absorb toxins from you that will harm them. But yes an aquarium setup with mostly land is better for them.

10. CrystalD1

CrystalD1 Member

They are always in the water when I had them in the tank with the water and gravel they just sit there now that I have changed them to the jungle soil stuff the pet store recommended. I don't hold them often just when I am changing something in the tank and have to move them. Hopefully the one gets better I don't know what else I am supposed to do for him. :(

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Amphibians are hard because they are rather delicate and susceptible to toxins and such, yet most vets don't see them as there isn't much medically that they would be able to do without stressing the amphibian out too much.