This Disappears When Logged In

My Super Easy Enclosure Humidifier Set Up

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by jdandlucy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i was asked to do this and i should have done it under my own volition. this set up cost maybe $35 total. alot less if you have some parts laying around as i always do. first go to walmart and get this humidifier DSCF0058.jpg . it is in the baby section. cost is $29 and tax. Unbox and fill to make sure no leaks in tank. DSCF0059.jpg Remove the output nozzle, this is very easy to do. grap and pull up, no force or tool are needed. DSCF0061.jpg . their are 2 ways you can connect the PVC pipe to the humidifier. 1 is a small rubber boot, that i had extra from my water garden, DSCF0062.jpg DSCF0063.jpg or 2 a small piece of clear pvc tubing. this tube will need to fit over the pvc fitting not the pvc pipe. DSCF0067.jpg . place the pipe or fitting in to the center port of humidifier DSCF0064.jpg DSCF0069.jpg . place another 90 deg fitting on to the pipe and turn it till it faces down, and connect the flexible tube. DSCF0070.jpg . you can use black sump pump tubing from home depot or lowes as well. i didnt have any on hand. the tube i am useing is from one of them swimming pool kits from walmart or kmart. i never used the pool for swimming. i housed my goldfish while i did some work on my water garden so no chlorine or other chemicals where used with this tubing. decide where you would like your mist port to be located in your enclosure. drill a 1 1/4 inch hole with the animal and substrate removed. i used some fittings that are very similar to bulk head fittings for aquariums but these are available at home depot or lowes. on the female threaded fitting you need to get some window screen and glue or as i did with metal screen melt the pvc with a soldering iron to hold the screen in place DSCF0071.jpg . clean up all sharp edges with a razor blade, cutting each wire so no sharp wires can poke your snake. with another 90deg fitting and short piece of pipe DSCF0072.jpg . a rubber washer is required on the pass thru. push the male threaded fitting thru your drilled hole and install rubber washer and thread on female fitting with screen until rubber washer is tight against the enclosure wall. cut your flexable tube to the correct length and slip over the pvc pipe DSCF0073.jpg . fill your humidifier and turn on. this humidifier can fill my enclosure with 6 inches of very dense fog in 3 minutes

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

idiot moment. lol all pvc pipe and fittings are 1"ID

3. chawk

chawk Banned User

looks easy and functional great woork

4. SIRWISER13

SIRWISER13 New Member

thanks for the idea ,, i been looking for easier ways to put humidity in my chams enclosures thanks again

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Not a problem. We are all here to help in one way or another. I am not a replile expert in any way, but I a major DIY Guy. If you have an idea and need an extra brain I would be happy to assist you

6. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Do you think the Zoo Med Hygrotherm could control this with no issues?

7. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

Zoomed hydrotherm is a universal controller. Their is no reason why it wont.

8. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

9. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

i am starting to rethink my delivery method for the humidifier. one side of my enclosure gets nice and damp while the other side stays very dry. would the humidity being delivered from the top center in a spray bar set up be better for dispersion?

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It should yes.

11. chawk

chawk Banned User

you could reduce it down to 1/2" and drill 1/16" holes in it and run that along the top

12. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

1/16" holes may be to small. I will try it before I install the bar. If hole size adjustment is needed I can do it without to much hassle.

13. chawk

chawk Banned User

Yeah I just said 1/16 for a place to start its easier to go bigger lol but you know that

14. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

spray bar works GREAT. still needs a bit of adjustment as far as the direction of the holes. that will be easy just twist till i get it right. now i did not have enough 1/2" pipe so i used 3/4" instead. drill holes started at 5/64" and ended at 9/64" before it worked correctly. the spray bar is 2 pieces of 3/4" pvc 23 1/2" long with a 3/4" t in the middle. end caps on each end. i did not drill the holes in the middle of the pipe. i marked a strait line down the pipe, used a started drill to just give me a dimple. i then drilled the holes so they would be at the bottom of the pipe but point strait out towards the glass. this way any water that collected in the pipe would drain out and not sit and stagnate. it might not have been good for Lucius but it was on complete accident. wife was cooking dinner while i was working on this, and when she was done i was trying it out in the enclosure. for the first time i have actually seen it rain indoors. 20 minutes after i turned it on and forgot about it to eat the humidity level was 99% and you could see small drops collect and fall from the air.

15. chawk

chawk Banned User

thats awesome dude but you forgot pics lol
    i should be getting my ultrasonic mister today. fingers crossed somehow going thru the usps it started in california and end up in texas then back to colorado before finally making it to iowa it left des moines sort center sunday morning then come monday after noon it somehow went back to the des moines sort center and finally today two weeks later it is out for delivery.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  16. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

It was late. I just wanted to relax before work today. I will get pics tonight.

17. McCleney

McCleney Member

I love the idea. I live in Texas but I have a lot of trouble with the humidity for my snakes.

18. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

it will not let me post pics

19. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

no matter what way i try, i can not upload any photos.

20. chawk

chawk Banned User

i had to use photobucket to get pics to work