This Disappears When Logged In

My Sticks Are Growing Up!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Dragoness, May 5, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They are mostly over 2 inches now. With any luck, I will have eggs this fall! Right now, I have 3 pairs copulating. Many are still growing, and might not be mature. Don't know how many pairs I will have when all is said and done.

5.4.10_022.jpg

5.4.10_014.jpg
    Here you can see the smaller male hitching a ride on his girlfriend.

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Very cool looking sticks.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great pictures, these guys are very interesting fun to watch. Very cool
    Michele

4. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Very cool looking! (And I also think they're cute ... )

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve never tried, but would they be suitable as feed for the future savannah monitor, if you`re willing to do that?

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I strongly doubt they could be used as a food source - they spray this defensive fluid (usually aimed at the eye) the results (in humans at least) in excruciating pain (which has been likened to molten lead, and is NOT affected by morphine), temporary blindness, and a red cornea, lasting 3-5 days, during which time the eye will also be extremely sensitive to light and pressure. Providing you don't gouge your own eye out in an attempt to ease the pain, there is no permanent damage.

I try to remember to weak a mask when working in their cage, but I don't always remember.

They are pretty cute though, and there is another variety of them (these guys are pretty standard black and yellow) from the Ocala region a little north of me. Those ones are black and white - I'm hoping to go collect a few this fall when they come down from the trees to lay eggs.

All 13 I have right now are the result of having 6 breeding pairs for only one night in my house in a small terrarium, awaiting transport to the zoo. They laid all the eggs that hatched into these guys.

That said, I will be collecting the eggs this fall, and there will probably be far more than I really really want. If anybody is interested, let me know - it would be easy to send off some eggs. These are a fairly easy species to care for.