This Disappears When Logged In

My Savannah Keeps Trying to Bite Me

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Jessierose, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jessierose

Jessierose Member

Hi I'm new to the forum and I've read some post and seen some really good replys so I'm hoping someone will have some advise for me on my Savannah called Zeus, I have owned Zeus since June/July I believe he was about 5months when I got him the pet shop said he was just small, but now he's about 9months old has done a lot of growing, he is now about 1.5ft "long head to tail. His basking spot is about 140f (temp gun tested every day) and his humidity is 60-70. Zeus also feeds absolutly fine but...

My problem is everytime i put my hand in his viv he always runs to bite me, I have recieved a few bites now from him just whilst I'm trying to do basic viv clean up, but he is fed plenty and he is tong fed to
    but this has only come on recently about 1 Month ago when I was trying to change his water bowl he bit me and since then he's got worse, I dont handle him as a lot of people and read up say let them come to you don't force them so I have been hands off with him.

Can anyone recommend any ideas on how to calm him down within regards to biting me or should I just get used to it lol or will this be something he grows out of and has anyone else had this problem with their savannah

Thanks jessierose

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you tell me the diet, also, how long are the tongs you`ve been using, and lastly, can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and monitor? Thanks!

3. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

It's possible that he may grow out of it, or he may stay like that indefinately. Mine went through a 'bite anything that enters the enclosure' phase for a while. Some calm down, and others don't.
    I'd get a pair of thick gloves and wear them whenever you do maintenance- should help a bit, but I've been careful so fortunately have not actually been bitten when wearing the gloves and don't know how much protection they give (it just makes me feel better :) ). Also, try changing water, etc. while he's down in his burrow- this way you don't have to worry about getting bit or stressing him out.
    I second for photos!

4. Jessierose

Jessierose Member

His diet is locust or Dubia roaches.in the week and 1 fuzzy at the weekend the tongs I've been feeding with are about 1ft long, I'll put some photos up ASAP when I get my new iphone as I have broken mine and haven't got any photos on my laptop so sorry about that his viv is 5x3x3 but will be upgrading, and he has about 3ft long and 1ft deep of soil to burrow which he loves and a water bowl to bath in which again he loves

5. Jessierose

Jessierose Member

And thanks for the idea on gloves ill
    Get some and try this and see how his bite feels through them lol

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for more details, I`ll wait impatiently for the pics... ;)
    The locusts and roaches are good, not sure why you only offer one fuzzy per week, I would increase that to at least 2, their metabolism is at it`s highest, and under supportive conditions he/she won`t become obese. You might also want to try fertilised quail eggs (you can buy them on Ebay), I usually pay around £3 or £4 a dozen, freshwater shrimp/prawns, small freshwater fish are all good additions to the diet.
    If the bathing water isn`t heated it should be, preferably between the low 80`s to 90f, though obviously the container needs to be large enough to be able to use a small aquarium heater (maybe 50w).
    Edit: I do not recommend allowing the monitor to bite into gloves, that way you`re teaching it that it`s acceptable to bite whenever your hand is near. Take my word for it, if you receive a "proper" bite even from a juvenile it hurts!
    When you offer food from the tongs do you wave it about, if yes, that may be why the monitor is trying to bite whenever your hand gets close? You should simply offer the items carefully and slowly.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

8. Jessierose

Jessierose Member

Hi don't worry it was a joke lol I'm not just going to let his bite me so I can feel it, and I only feed 1 fuzzy as I've had conflicting information about feeding them, some people say they don't need then and others say do, so I fort id stick with what the shop said at 1per week but if others are or did feed two I am willing to try and no I Don't wave it around if he not interested in it off the tongs I just put it down and again Thankyou for your support

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`m pleased you weren't serious about letting the monitor bite the gloves (the gloves are even more delighted)... :D
    There have been some very intense debates on the most suitable diet for captive Savannah monitors over the years, we had one here at the HC a few months ago. If you have a month or two to read through the whole thing, please do (just kidding), a couple of hours is all you`ll need, but well worth it, I think you`ll learn quite a lot!
    "BoDiddleyitis" is actually Dr. Daniel Bennett, he`s studied the species in the wild, and has written a very informative book on their wild lives and captive care, and published a number of scientific articles, too.

http://www.herpcenter.com/monitors/...feeding-rodents-savannah-monitor-lizards.html

After that you might take a look at the following thread, this a an account of Wayne`s ("Infernails`") monitors, another excellent read and more real EVIDENCE of the truth about rodents and this species in captivity.

http://www.herpcenter.com/monitors/...lefoot-cera.html?highlight=ittlefoot+and+cera

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. Jessierose

Jessierose Member

Thanks I'll make sure I read this tomorrow x

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Good, it`s the most up to date info available at this time (I may ask questions later)! :-"

12. yarok

yarok Member

I had a savannah monitor for about a year before he died in hurricane sandy. They are awsome animals. I had mine from a baby and handled him often. He would pretty much eat anything. I did an enormous amount of research on them. One thing that I read from numerous sources was that it would be a good idea not to feed him in his enclosure. I have been keeping lizards for a few years and I noticed that when you feed your animals in their enclosures then whenever you open the enclosure they think its feeding time which makes doing maintenance much more challenging. A lot of people have different opinions when it comes to handling and I don't want to step on any toes. I have kept and am currently keeping a few monitors. Most of my monitors were skittish when I got them and didn't like to be handled but after a while usually tame down depending on the species (I'm convinced that certain species are nearly impossible to tame). Savannah monitors are definitely the easiest in my opinion.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I must disagree about feeding them in a different enclosure to that which they normally live in, it requires regular forced handling which is extremely stressful for newly acquired animals.
    If done properly (calmly and quietly, rather than waving it around in front of their nose, or making them chase it inside the tank which gets them quite exited), tong feeding them after acclimation should not result in them thinking anytime you put your hand in the enclosure it means food.
    Can you put a few photos up of your monitors and enclosures in another thread so we don`t hijack this one? Thanks!