This Disappears When Logged In

My Pueblan Milk Snake is Looney.

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by MentalMilkSNakes, Mar 29, 2014.

1. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

I bought a Pueblan Milk snake about 1 month ago and he is near impossible to handle. He eats great and just finished a perfect shed. When I pick him up when he's coiled he seems to be much calmer and relaxed, but when I try to get him when he's stretched out he goes insane. I can't just let him crawl around my hands loosely because he's way too fast and will squirm right out of my hands, yet when I apply any sort of loose grip he trashes around wildly and or musks/poops on me. I really love the looks of the snake but wasn't prepared for it to be this mental. I previously owned a Honduran Milk snake for many years and he was extremely calm from the start. Any tips on how I should go about handling him? I don't see the point in having a snake that won't tolerate a little handling.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just do it. The snake currently sees you as a predator. As far as it knows you intend to eat him.
    Just a few minutes of gentle handling each day should bring him out of it,

3. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

How am I supposed to "gemtly" handle something that is flying 100 miles an hour? There is no way to keep him in my hands without applying some sort of grip on him.

"Milk was a bad choice." - Ron Burgandy

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  4. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

My corn is crazy unless I hold her firmly. I believe she's afraid of heights or something? Either way, be gentle yet firm

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can hold him without applying a death grip. Just gently control him and let him glide thru your hands.