This Disappears When Logged In

My Precious Kismet -- the End of an Era...

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by Really, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Really

Really Elite Member

It is with profound sadness that I must tell everyone that the beautiful Kismet Ramoth Mule' passed away early yesterday morning, from complications following an emergency spay. Her body was not releasing the right hormones to shell her eggs properly, even though we did everything right. Her x-ray just ten days before showed no eggs and everything about her exam showed a nongravid female in perfect health. Then, last week she started having some blood in her feces, similar to what she went through last year. The vet put her on the same antibiotics and they seemed to be working. Then, Monday morning she started hemorrhaging. We rushed her to the vet and she had emergency surgery. She did come out of the long and messy surgery and the vet was cautiously optimistic, but she passed away early the next morning.

I don't know if any of you have ever read the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne MacCaffrey, but the way she describes what happens to a rider who loses their dragon sums up how I feel. But I am not alone in my grief. My whole family is torn to pieces -- we feel like we lost a person. And Kismet was loved by so many people all around the world. She helped so many people learn to understand reptiles better... She will be missed by her internet fans and by classroom children everywhere...

familyfun_zpsa6a5366d.jpg

mygirls_zps72583fc6.jpg

schoolpresentation_zps05846355.jpg

withMike_zps84b81329.jpg

byJo_zps85fef4fa.jpg

atCR_zps5d546362.jpg

AliceandKizzie_zps88bdc77a.jpg

byGayle2_zps5d388458.jpg

WithRangerRod2_zps64014581.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

So sorry for your loss, she will be missed by many people!

RIP Kismet

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My deepest condolences. Its amazing how these scaly critters can get into your heart.
    At least you have support and don't have to listen to that "just a lizard" nonsense!

And not surprisingly, The Pern novels are my favorite series. I have read thru the whole thing twice.

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Kismet was a wonderful animal, my heart is breaking for you.

5. Really

Really Elite Member

Merlin and the other Admins -- this is also relevant to greens and I would really like to get the word out: Something I can't stress enough is that all of Kismet's tests and x-rays looked normal and she looked like a healthy iguana. Even her behavior was normal. I could sense something "off" and my vet listens to me, but we just couldn't find anything until last week when she passed a little blood. Even then, it looked more like just an infection that could be treated with antibiotics -- let me stress again that x-rays did NOT show the eggs. When the vet opened her there were two almost completely shelled eggs stuck in the oviduct and other eggs, including loose yolk and broken yolk in her abdomen. He cleaned her out really well and when the surgery was over and she woke up, he was cautiously optimistic -- but she passed away in the wee hours of the next morning.

Our lives are completely shattered, but I don't know what more we could have done medically... Even so, if this information can help anyone, I want to pass it along. Maybe, knowing my gut said something was wrong, I should have taken her for an ultrasound or something....

6. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( I honestly believe that sometimes nature has its way in spite of our very best efforts, and none of the "what ifs" in the world would have changed the outcome. I hope you find comfort in the memories, and knowing you gave her the best life she could have hoped to have. She was very lucky to have been a member of your family.

7. Really

Really Elite Member

My friend made this tribute to her...

[video=youtube;gZPD1OUie1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gZPD1OUie1U[/video]

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Beautifully done!

Your little dragon finally has her wings.

9. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

So sorry for your loss.

10. Really

Really Elite Member

Oh Merlin! I am crying all over again... not that I have stopped long.
    Is there any way we can get the word out on the green iguana forum about her x-ray? I think it is really important....

11. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That video was the sweetest. I love the end where her hand was in your hand. Sweet. Sorry for your huge loss.

12. rhinokeeper

rhinokeeper Elite Member

I never wanna feel your pain. I got a rhino a few months ago and I dread the day he is gone. Such amazing lizards. Sorry

13. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful spirit. She was so blessed to have such caring non scaled two legged souls sharing her life. Bet she will find ways to let you know she is still with you and may even come back again. Bless you and your family and friends as you share memories of Kismet together. May

14. Really

Really Elite Member

Our hearts still ache tremendously for the loss of our baby girl... Thank you all for your thoughts.

15. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

My heart breaks for you! You have my deepest sympathies. Kismet was so beautiful. Your friend did an amazing job on the video. I cried.. and laughed. You have some adorable pics of her. I loved the pic of her in the princess dress!!!