This Disappears When Logged In

My Poor Baby Is Sick

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cazza205, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'm not force handling I moved him because where he was is cooler than the basking area and he's not moving toward it by himself and I've wrote already that the basking area is mid 90's and I've taken that temp with an eco terra digital thermometer. The problem started three weeks ago and he'd finished shedding a week previous and was back on his food when this happened. I'm being as accurate as I possibly can here I've stopped giving him the critical care and bathing him incase it's stressing him and am only trying to help him by putting him directly under the heat

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you continue to physically move the lizard it`s forced handling. ;)
    You cannot take the surface temp of an object accurately unless you use an IR Temp-gun which I linked to earlier, therefore if the ambient temp is in the mid 90`s it may be that you`re overheating the animal, especially as you also use/d a heat mat and hot water bottle at times? It might just be that he wants to be cooler, yet you keep returning him to the hottest part. I can only respond to what you tell me, you do not seem to have a great deal of experience at this moment in time (that`s not a criticism). The vet can also only go by what you say, so if you`ve said all the conditions are good as you have done here it`s unlikely the vet could be of much help in determining the "problems" if there are any.

3. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

So I should just leave him in the cold spot? I don't have an IR TEMP-gun I will get one but ATM I don't. I used the hot bottle when I was feeding him which I haven't done today and when I placed him back in his tank on it it wasn't near the basking area. The heat Matt i used because he hasn't been basking and in that spot it's cooler which I haven't used today either. I don't keep returning him to the hotter part only today I have put him there because where I put him last night he hadnt moved and hasn't been moving or basking by himself. Yes your right I've not had this kind of problem with him before that's why I'm here trying to find a solution. Usually he would bask and move around as he please I never had to handle him in the tank and he happily came out and floated around with ease then one day just stopped. He hasn't had any fluids today and looks to me to be regressing he does look to be brighter after having him up basking

4. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You cannot take the surface temps with either of those, they only read the air temps. Until you can get a Temp-gun you/we are guessing what the basking surface temp is? How long have you had the dragon?

6. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'm going to try get one tomorrow so I can be accurate, I have him since December

7. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I went pet shop and get a dome and two different watts 60 and 100 haven't changed anything yet so once I get the temp gun I can hopefully sort this all out

8. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'll put a pic up now in a minute but he hasn't had anything today will he be ok not getting fluids?

9. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I advised buying a halogen bulb because they are much more efficient (also cheaper) than the "petshop type", they can also be fitted with a dimmer switch which would make adjusting the basking surface temp much easier. Are you sure the animal is male?
    If the humidity range is sufficient the lizard will not become dehydrated in a day or two (providing there is also clean drinking water available).

11. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

They are the only bulb they had available, I'm not positive no and I also don't know his exact age I was told he was approx 6mnts old when I got him in December

12. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I just seen two midget flying around his tank cound Parasites be the cause

13. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

There is clean drinking water available be he's not moving toward it, I'm convinced he's dying should I give him some water with the syringe and maybe bring him back the vet

14. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

IMG_0452.PNG Would this be adequate to get an accurate basking spot temperate? I'm going to purchase it today if it's the correct one??

15. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Will the gun above be a good one to get today?

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You get the bulbs at the hardware store.
    The issue with heat pads is the animal has to be on top of it. Being arboreals the Dragon will want to go higher.
    Ches are ceramic heat emitters. You have to get them at petshops or online.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How much is it?

18. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

35.00 sterling whatever that is in Euro, I can't get it anyway they are out of stock and it's not available for click and collect in any of their Dublin stores. I'm gonna look on eBay again see if I can get next day delivery or amazon

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Ebay for £10 excluding next day delivery, but they may offer it if you ask.
    Digital Infrared Temperature Temp Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point | eBay

20. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Yeah I'm looking at the one you linked earlier the delivery isint great

Est. delivery: Thu, 24 Aug – Mon, 28 Aug
    Royal Mail International Standard

I'm gonna have a look on amazon and if nothing sooner ill go ahead with this one cheers