This Disappears When Logged In

My Poor Baby Is Sick

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cazza205, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

The temps were spot on up to three weeks ago mid 80's and mid 70's at night. The right side being warmer than the left with the basking light and he would always sit under it and bask and then move over when he got too warm. I've put the bulb I had in back in there so that they will be back to as they were the only reason I changed it down was because the bloke told me to as it's really clammy and warm and he said he's had ppl contacting him with the same problem

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Whether or not to reduce the wattage depends on the conditions. You should keep the temps at their optimum levels. Andaybe even kick it up 5 degrees. This works the same as a fever in humans to kick up the immune response.

3. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Thanks I didn't think I was anything to do with his temp tbh I originally just thought he couldn't digest the morio he'd never eaten one before. I'll get another higher heat bulb and up the temps so cheers

4. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

He'd just finished a shed a week previous to this and was brand new

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, they often stop eating during the shedding process, so maybe that`s all it originally was? You say the temps are "spot on" but you don`t have anything to measure the basking surface or an object large enough to act as one from what I can see?
    I use relatively low wattage halogen bulbs at the basking site, either par 30 or par 38 (the "par" only refers to the bulb face diameter) they MUST be flood beam and fitted with ceramic bulb holders, they are very cheap to buy (try ebay). An example...
    012.JPG

6. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

He shed and was brand new back eating and everything for about a week and then once he ate the morio that was it hasn't ate since, I measured it on the branch were he sat while basking do u think I need to build up his basking area?

7. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'll try the pet store for one of them bulbs cheers

8. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I'm also going to get something solid and but him directly at the basking area because as I said he hasn't moved from were I left him last night, should I leave temps as is then or higher them no that's he's ill?

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What did you measure the surface temp with? Yes, you need something larger than the thin branch ( a larger diameter one) a wooden shelf sealed with water based polyurethane varnish, a flat stone or tile/s. Here`s how I set up a basking area (you won`t need this many heat bulbs) maybe one single 80w will suffice, it depends on enclosure size and room temps.
    What size is the tank in cm or inches (length, width and height in that order)?
    014.JPG

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Have you removed the heat mat and water bottle?
    I don`t know what the temps are because you still haven`t said what the basking surface temp is or how you measure it? To make it easier for you, you need to know two temps during the daytime; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 24c (75f) then the surface temp of the basking object @ approx. 35c (95f). Nighttime no lower than approx. 24c (75f).

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I don`t think petshops sell them, as I mentioned, try ebay

12. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I've placed him directly at the basking site so fingers crossed thanks for the advice

13. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

The heat mat is for nighttime and the water bottle was only because I had to take him out and feed him

14. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Measurements in inches are 34x19x22

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

T
    They don`t need a heat mat, if the temp falls much below 24c (75f) during the night use a ceramic heat emitter/similar. You still haven`t said how you measure the surface temp or what it is?

Cazza205 likes this.
  16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How big is the dragon?

17. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

IMG_0444.JPG His temporary basking spot till I can get him something solid

18. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

He's approx 18inches

19. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Ceramic heat emitter? Will I get that in the pet store? What's wrong with the heat mat for nighttime?

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can buy the CHE either at the petstore or on ebay. Why are you still force handling? If the "problem" with not eating started around 2 weeks ago when the animal was shedding it`s skin that`s quite likely to be the reason it stopped eating rather than ill health. Once again, what is the surface temp at the basking site and how are you measuring it? There is no point in offering further advise if you do not answer these important questions!