This Disappears When Logged In

My Poor Baby Is Sick

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Cazza205, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

IMG_0439.JPG Just now IMG_0400.JPG Wednesday IMG_0392.JPG Wednesday IMG_0384.JPG Tuesday

Vinny is so sick he's not eating, not pooping and just sleeping constantly the vets gave me critical care and bless him he crapped all over me yesterday but still not responsive so I've being bathing him in warm water for a half hour every morning and force feeding him twice a day and also some fluids he always has water but as far as I can see he doesn't move much between my visits. Started giving him the foods stuffs on Monday and thought he be coming around by now. I've lowered his heat lamp by 10watts recommended by reptile pet store dude due to weather being warm (Ireland) and the vets said he's perfect but was lethargic (he didn't even move his arms when the vet was placing him in the table) he done an X-ray for impaction and just gave him a laxative and some fluids just incase. It all started app 3 weeks ago when I gave him a morio worm and ever since he looks to be fading off, he had his eyes opened this morn when I bathe him and fed him but not this evenings, he does respond with a swipe of his swords when I force feed him but other than that not much else happening, usually when I snap him with the flash he's eyes pop opened but not lately I'm so worried nobody seems to know what wrong with him. Any advice truly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hello. I'm sure you've been asked this many times, but please give us pics of his enclosure, and details of conditions, humidity, temps, diet, etc, as detailed as possible.

3. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Ok his enclose is small I'll put a pic up, he's usually out and about before this, his temps were spot on till I lowered them 10watts as I said on recommendation humidity is ridiculous I'm constantly spraying him just now he swatted me away with the spray bottle, he opened his eye just there just the left one mind and I wiggled a wax worm in front of him, he responded went to go for it and just stopped in his tracks and closed his eye again and drifted off again it's like he's a robot

4. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

image.jpg He's just right of the centre he's on a hot bottle the blue thing image.jpg

5. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

6. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

He would not squally be up on the branch or rope but it's like he hasn't the energy

7. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Usually*

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the enclosure is far too small, it will be very difficult to get a decent temp gradient, the basking bulb looks quite a distance away, and force feeding will cause a huge amount of stress.
    How are you measuring the ambient (air) and basking surface temps plus the humidity range, and lastly, does the tank have a screen top?
    Edit: I think I can see it`s a solid enclosure, but the vent high up will allow heat and humidity to escape, the rope will not hold any heat so is useless as a basking object/site, you need something solid.

9. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

He usually sits under the basking lamp but hasn't recently because of the energy sap and I'm force feeding him because I was told I'd need to get something in it him because he's not eating by himself, I've measured the temps with an eco terra digital thermometer and the humidity is just by me spraying constantly. Do I think he's sick because his tank is too small?

10. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

There also a heat mat under the middle area which I've had on and off since he's been sick I was told to keep him warm so warm baths, hot bottles and heat all round

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Please stop force feeding immediately, so long as the dragon remains hydrated food is of little importance until all the conditions support it. You haven`t said what the ambient (air) and basking surface temps are, although to get an accurate reading of the latter you'll need an IR Temp-gun... It may be the animal is not "sick" only that the conditions need some adjustment. I advise removing the hot water bottle and heat mat, stop force handling and bathing.
    Digital Infrared Temperature Temp Gun Thermometer Non-Contact IR Laser Point

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  12. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

So don't feed him the critical care? Should I manually make him have water? The temps were all on point up till last week mid 90's in the basking area he would sit on the branch directly under the lamp where I took the temp. I don't know what u mean by ambient temp is I've never heard of it till now. He was on the hot bottle because i had to take him out to feed him and was told to keep him warm I put him back in on the hot bottle for a bit and then took it away. So I should stop bathing him too so basically the vet told me all wrong! What do u suggest because I'm at a loss here?

13. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

The idea is once we get all the enclosure specs perfect, and remove any sources of stress, and provide a source of food and water, your pet should recover if nothing is seriously wrong. Dragons do this thing where they "shut down" and stress just makes it worse, so when they are handled or interact with you in this state it only makes matters worse. And it's human nature to freak out and try to baby them. But all you can reasonably do is make conditions in the enclosure ideal, and leave him alone as much as possible until he returns to normal. Force feeding is only necessary in weight loss emergencies. In this situation it's probably doing more harm than good. I know you love your dragon though, I can tell you care about him and I applaud your commitment and effort towards his health.

Cazza205 likes this.
  14. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

So I should stop feeding him and just make sure he has water in his tank? I don't baby him or force handle him, before this I would open cage door and he would jump onto my hand and up my arm I never took him out by force and didn't let others either I'm very respectful of his space but it was two weeks without eating and that's why I ended up in the vets full of worry I didn't wanna come down one morning to find him dead

15. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

It's tough when your being told one thing by vets and then I come on here to find out I've probably being making him worse. I honestly thought he just couldn't digest the morio worm that was the first time he's had one and expected some kind of digestion issue upon visiting the vet but he had a clear x-ray so off I went trusting these he was pointing me on the right direction

16. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

When u say shut down can u go into more detail

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem with some vets is, although they understand dogs and cats, when it comes to reptiles, they are clueless.
    But their ego won't let them admit it.
    The animal should be kept at optimal temperatures. Their immune responses are keyed to temperature. Reducing the temperatures also reduces their immune system.
    And ambient temperature is the basic air temp in the tank away from the basking area.

AmityReptiles and Cazza205 like this.
  18. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Hi thanks for the reply i picked the vet on recommendations of the reptile store owner who told he about lowering the temp he said as its summer that's I should lower the heat lamp to run in line with the weather?

19. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

Do I think I should put him directly under the basking bulb? He hasn't moved from where I left him last night so he's not drinking by himself and I'm being told on here now to stop giving him the critical care although the doesn't look all that skinny he didn't last week but I've got some of that stuff into him I'm just so worried and wanna do what i can to help him

20. Cazza205

Cazza205 Active Member

I've not touched him today just misting and I have a towel over his tank and he's under his lil hide so he won't be stressed or anything