This Disappears When Logged In

My Newest Build

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Dawnjim420, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dawnjim420

Dawnjim420 Member

This is for my Nile monitor. My current enclosure is getting wayyyyy to small for her. Had to get her out of there and put my Beardies in it.
    New enclosure
    nessies cage.jpg
    nessie cage 5.jpg
    nessies cage 3.jpg

Old one
    IMAG0528.jpg

2. Dawnjim420

Dawnjim420 Member

Still have the front wall and top to put on the tall section. Will be a solid glass door in middle of tall front section....and then mesh up each side of the door for ventilation. Far right section of lower part will be basking area and then right side of lower part will be where red light goes.....and then fluorescents in the whole larger area up top. What do ya think? What substrate would be best in the lower section?

3. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

It's looking great!! :)

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If the lower section is solely for basking you might as well just do slate or stone in there.
    Any kind of dirt won't be deep enough to hold moisture and will quickly dry out.

5. Dawnjim420

Dawnjim420 Member

Ok thank, maybe i will do that with the rocks/ slate.She will also have rocks and stuff and maybe some plants of some sort hanging down for looks. The lower side will be for basking and eating purposes.

6. Dawnjim420

Dawnjim420 Member

Oh, and i used OSB board for the whole enclosure but i covered the OSB with Formica. So i dont think i will have to worry about any kind of moulding or anything like that. It is caulked all the way around the cage and trimmed with wood also. My only trouble right now is that the glass i have for the door is going to be cut down to about 2 feet x 4 feet (large enough for me to get inside when needed and for better viewing also) I will be using 4x4 posts, 7 feet high on either side of the door to be able to support the glass. NOW, can i use say pressure treated 4x4's and coat them with something? Or should i be using spruce and coat that instead? There is some new style of pressure treated would out there now, it looks like cedar, but it isnt cedar. Maybe i should look at if it is any less "toxic" for reptiles or not...........ideas? Suggestions?

7. Dawnjim420

Dawnjim420 Member

Here is a few more pics, getting close to done. Man it was a *****, had to move all pieces downstairs and start piecing it together.
    nessiescage4.jpg
    nessie 2.jpg
    nessie cage 1.jpg

Attached Files: