This Disappears When Logged In

My newest acquisition!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Og_, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Yeah! I finally got that Veiled Chameleon down at the local Mom and Pop store. Includes a 30"x30"x18" exoterra screened inclosure, 1 regular day bulb, 1 UVA/B flourescent bulb, 1 infrared night bulb, A water dropper, tree limbs to climb on, cypress mulch for a substrate, and one 12 inch veiled chameleon for $250.00 bucks! It even had crickets included.

2. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

Neat. Veilds are the best for pets as far as chams go. Be sure you keep a sharp eye and know your stuff, chams are a real handful.

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Yeah, I know. I've worked my way up to them. Started off with a Savannah Monitor, then a Ball Python. The more technical they are, The more I find them interesting. Plus, It blows my mind how they can look in two different directions at once! Not to mention their tongue!

4. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

It's too sticky and violent to be useful for anything but hunting (the tongue). Cham's aren't just technically hard, they are what I would call a pain in the ***. Seriously, you can do everything right and there will still be a problem. I found that the novelty of chameleons wore off long before I got one (and I still don't have one). Hopefully yours won't be mean or stubborn. At least you did research!

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Ummm? Maybe, You don't get it.

6. nicole

nicole Elite Member

No , I think he does we are just trying to keep it clean, my kids use this sight ;)

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Chams can also be very territorial. Cage maintance at my house is a stand off. One of my male chams earned himself the name Joe pesci. Loveable guy if you farther than 6", outright evil if your any bit near.

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Mine used to do that. He was great when he got out of the cage. Until then, he'd look like he would rip off anything that came into that cage.

Chameleons can be very delicate, which is why I think they're often referred to as hard to care for. It just takes a little finesse and a lot of patience dealing with them.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the newbie, where are the pics :)

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

:eek: Thanks for the heads up!

11. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I too wanna know where the picture are! lol Congrats on the newbie. :)

You will notice this site is VERY clean in regards to what we allow for terminology that makes it on the site. Most of the staff and members are parents, and we want this site to be as user friendly as possible. (VERY family oriented. lol) If a child comes across this site, the parents can be sure that it is safe and clean for them. We do everything in our power to ensure that. ;) If my kids aren't allowed to see it, your kids won't be seeing it either! :)

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I really want to take pics. I went by BEST BUY to see if I could get a cheap digital camera and they didn't have anything under the $120.00 range. I've got a camera phone but, I still haven't figured out how to send a pic to my computer E-mail address. Seems all I can do is send a pic to another cell phone.
    Maybe some of you tech savvy people could help me out!
    It really is a beautiful animal and I would love to share any pics I can show.

13. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

And believe me I respect that! This has been so far the best forum I've been on so far. The last couple I visited was like the wild west of forums, Anything goes!

Call me Mr. Squeeky Clean from now on!

14. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

OK, So as far as My Chameleon goes, He\She is in the same enclosure that it's been in for the last 6 months at the pet store. The same setup, The same decorations, The same everything. Just a different location.
    It is in my "Reptile Room", Which is a seperate bedroom with the A.C. cut off. It gets about 85 degrees ambient temperture at the warmest time of day. I also keep my Savannah Monitor (Og) and My Ball/Royal Python(Unnamed) in this room.
    I've been thinking about naming my veiled Cham "John-Paul" or "Benidict", Because of that feature on his head looks sort of like a Pope's hat. And after all I named My Savannah Monitor after a character in the Old Testement.

15. eimersmoo385

eimersmoo385 Active Member

hey if this helps u out to send a pic on ur phone just type in ur whole email address kinda like ur sending a pic messages instead of putting a number in there u put ur email address..... hope this helps

16. eimersmoo385

eimersmoo385 Active Member

oh yeah and congrats on the new veiled. i cant wait to c a pic of him/her.... :D

17. turk20

turk20 Active Member

Congrats on the Cham. I too can vouch that the males sure have an interesting behaviour. I just did a major top to bottom clean/disenfect of his habitat and getting him out of the habitat was somewhat equal to pulling a tooth from a miserable unsedated water buffalo during mating season.
    Nothing but attitude, yet once he was back home he came up to his uvb basking area, looked at me with that smug chameleon look saying to me "
    Don't forget this mack, I own you"
    Having a chameleon is still a great experience!
    Enjoy

18. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

OK I borrowed an old digital camera for a few days to take some shots. I was able to get this pic only after A LOT of trouble. Here's one pic. I don't want to stress the little guy out too much. I need to get a glass door for my\It's enclosure so I can take more pics without the metal screen obscuring the shot.[​IMG]

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Here are a few more. I've seen on nature shows how their main defense is to just act like it's a leaf on a tree. The overhead shot that I got was interesting because he was able to thin his body to almost look like a stick. If you moved over to get a better look at his side, He would then lean in the direction you moved to to keep up the illusion.[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I've tried that. It just says "sending failed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.