This Disappears When Logged In

My new Veiled

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by LiveSquid, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

I am using T-Rex Dragon Dust, ICB. Can I use that with my chameleon?

edit: I just learned that T-Rex makes dust specifically for chameleons (and like twelve other species).

2. The D

The D Mango Empress

well... i know nothing about chams... but yours is freaking cute!

3. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

Not sure i think maybe i would go with the ones made for the chams, the all might have different ingredients for different species. Not exactally sure of this but that's my guess!

4. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

yeah. Thats my assumption too. I didnt realize they made one just for them.

5. RedFox

RedFox Member

i use the t-rex chem formula.... dont know if there is a difference but it said it was formulated for chems... so what can you do?

i hope your little guys makes it.. it sounds like you have everything under controle. :)

the veiled chems are pretty hardy..(as far as chems go) so you picked a good starter chem. i was always afraid to handel mine when he was little because i didnt want to stress him out. but now he is an evil little dude!!! he will bite the crud out of you if you try messing with him.... he's so cool!!!!

so there is a ballance it think between how much you should handle them (in hopes of having a friendly chem) and how much down time they should get... finding the ballance is probibly up to your particular chem.

(ps. cant spell.... dont care :) )

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We do.
    That is why there is a spellcheck function at the bottom of each post. We have members from all over the world to whom english is a secondary language and they literally have to translate posts in order to read them. If words are misspelled or you use IM shortcut language it makes it very difficult for them to read.

7. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Sorry to keep asking and asking but I need to make sure I have it all down.

He is a desert species, right? From Yemen? So, whats the best substrate for him? I wasn't going to use any, because he wont be spending any real amount of time on the ground, and it would be easier to clean that way. But now, I need to be dripping water and I don't want the crix on the ground to drown and I don't really want standing water. Plus theres the humidity issue. So, I need something to absorb the water thats dripping down. Should I use sand, like in the desert? Or coco, or bark, or sphagnum? My only purpose for the substrate is to absorb water and to add a little cushion to the floor so when he eats he doesn't damage his tongue on the hard plexiglass bottom.

What if I were to use something like sphagnum or coco fiber for water absorption/humidity release and put one of those green cage carpet things as a cover so the cham wont eat any of the substrate? Thats the best idea I have.

Also, can someone give me some pointers or some links about cup feeding him? He is so small I dont know if its feasible

8. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

And just as an added note, I fixed up his cage with some new plants also. I put another vine (artificial) plus the ficus, and a nice cutting of schefflera . The schef gives him more bask spots. He used to hang out at the top right rear corner, but almost immediately after putting the schef in there he left that spot and I havent seen him ip there since.

So, now I ask.. Is the cage too heavily planted? Too lightly?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Merlin

Since none of our Cham keepers have chimed in yet, I will give you my thoughts. Mind you I do not keep chams (yet), but have been doing some research myself in the event of my aquiring one. Which is quite a possibility.
    I would go with no substrate, just newspaper. Any particulate substrate poses the risk of the chameleon ingesting it.
    With the water drip, if you place the cup in the same spot each time the water will for the most part end up running down in the same area. Place a saucer or small dish to catch the run off.
    In a screen cage a little water in the bottom is not going to make that much difference in the humidity. You will still need to spray the enclosure.
    As for the planting your enclosure looks good to me. It has enough greenery for several basking/hiding areas without being so dense that you cannot see the cham to monitor its health.

10. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Thanks, Merlin.

I read that about the substrate which why I thought to cover it would be a good idea. But if it wont make mych difference in the humidity levels anyway, then why bother. It'd just be more work to clean anyway. (As a side question, I have seen him eat only once, but I do find droppings. He wouldnt produce waste if he wasnt eating, right? I saw him drink last night.)

With the drip cup, I try to place it over the plant so it goes down the leaves and into the pot, then into the saucer. I suppose I could put the plant on a larger saucer.

The plants are great. I caught him basking last night. He was on a schef leaf holding his body up toward the light. So I put the temp probe there and it was 96F. The other parts of the cage range from 73 upward.

11. Merlin

The problem with that idea is that the constant drip will end up keeping the rootball of the plant constantly wet and it will rot and die. The soil needs to dry out a bit between waterings.

12. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

My drip isnt constant.. only two or three times a day for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Can I fill the saucer with rocks and put the plant on the rocks in the saucer? Then the saucer fills, and the soil dries. Or am I just beating a dead horse?

13. Merlin

You could give it a try. If your soil is porus enough it might work. You will just have to monitor your soil condition and make sure it doesn't stay soggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.