This Disappears When Logged In

My new Veiled

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by LiveSquid, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Got myself a new little friend today.. A baby veiled chameleon. I'm very excited. Ive read posts here and there about them, and saw the care sheet, but is there any advice you guys can give to be sure that my baby makes it through these most difficult times? Im so afraid about him being so delicate since he (pretty sure he has that bump between his rear toes) is so young and small.

Photos below. Please excuse the dried sphagnum. I really like that can (i think) see parts of his pattern already. When I chose him, he looked at me, puffed up, and got darker. I could see his markings then and I can see some in the pics too. Let me know what you guys think, and please, if theres any advice that even might help me, Id be very appreciative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

He is very cute, unfortnately I have no exprience with them. I'm sure Devon will be along shortly, and he's got a ton of chams.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Ditto to what Lace said...have you tried looking for some books?

He's adorable.

4. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

He is really cute! I looked into them once the only advice to you is to keep him in a low traffic area. They don't like a lot of movement or noise. They can stress in these situation.

5. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

very very cute. i've never had a cham before nor do i know alot about them but yes i too suggest that you keep him in an area that is low traffic and doesn't have alot of things going on around him. hope you have good luck with him. i'm sure someone will be along to help you out. :)

6. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Tanks, everyone. I have another question too..

I feed him pinhead crix but I am buying him a screen cage today, and how do I keep the teeny tiny crickets from escaping through the mesh? Last thing I need is 25 crickets in my house setting up a colony.

edit, and another:
    How do I make him feel secure. I dont want to put him in a part of the house where I never go. The whole point of getting him was s I could observe him, etc and watch him grow. I live alone, and I have his cage currently where I pass it several times a day. It is also within earshot of my TV and stereo.

I suppose I need to do more reading. Ive been to chameleon forums, and to the chameleons dish site. Are there any other links that would benefit me?

7. venus

venus Founding Member

I think plants for hiding will make him feel secure, can he be fed the pin heads in a seperate container?

8. KJ1081

KJ1081 Active Member

I 've heard of people having good luck with putting the crickets in a tall deli cup and placing the whole cup in the enclosure. The crickets can't get out easily, and he can still find them. It's also a good way to monitor how much he is eating. He's adorable. Congrats!

9. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Ive heard that people cup feed them, but I also heard that it was better to let the little fella hunt for them. How will he know that theyre in the dish? Will I have to teach him? Plus he s so small that ... nm, he doesnt need to get in the cup, his tongue is plenty long, yeah?

Im going to go read up on cup feeding.

I also wanted to ask, is the ESU Fresh Air Habitat a good choice? I prefer the design of it over the Reptarium. Im going to go get one at petco today if they have them in stock- and they better.

ESU- http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro...v_256_N_27+122_sku_981010_familyID_13369.aspx
    Apogee- http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...9392569318&itemNo=0&In=Reptile&N=2030170&Ne=2

10. inkman

inkman Elite Member

wow he's itty bitty way cool!!!

11. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

12. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Cute little guy, wish i had one...

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From what little I know about veileds that looks like a female. The males have a tab on the back of the foot.

14. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Merlin- I thought I saw that little bump. Maybe not. He is still REALLY small. I'll find out eventually. I hope not, though.

I got him a new house. too. Not bad for a 20 minute setup job. I do have another question though. My thermometer registers ~88F at the top of the little log thats in there. He seems to like the very top right corner of the cage on his vine. Thats got to be hotter than the 88F on the log, but maybe not since its not directly under the bask light. Pic of his new home at the bottom. Its the ESU one. Its 20" high, 12" deep ad 15" wide. Plenty big enough for now. He is currently casing the joint. He's on his third lap crawling along the screen walls. He is so freaking cute.

I also wondered about plants; If silk plants would do well or should I get plastic only? I bought a little plant that looks just like a Ficus, but its labeled as "Benji Variegated". I took the chance hoping that its a Ficus Benjamin (or whatever). Any chance of that? Pic of the plant at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Merlin

An object placed directly under the basking light will be the warmest area due to the light causing the surface to warm up. This in addition to the light actually shining on it creates a hot spot. The only way to judge your temps in the other areas is to actually take the probe from your digital termometer and move it to that location and see.
    Since your cham is an arboreal animal it feels that safety is "up".

Your plant is a ficus benjamina. Its just a variagated form. Be sure and wash it well before introducing it to the cage. Most nurseries use a lot of chemicals on the plants. It would also be a good idea to place stones in the pot so that the cham can't get into the potting soil and injest it. Make sure the stones are too large for the cham to get in its mouth.

16. RedFox

RedFox Member

live plants are good... as your veiled is one of only a few that eat plants for the moister content.
    i use the Ficus and also the Pothos. both very good.

also do you know about the drip system? Chems will not drink standing water... they need to see it moving. ie drops on a leaf or what not... some people spend a ton of money on drip systems... other (smarter) people just put an ice cube on top of the cage and let is slowly melt....

also you need to take into account the humidity... you will want to spray him three times a day... well dont spay HIM... but spray the cage... chems do not like being blasted with water!!!

thats all i have right now...

well no its not
    also do you have your UVB light? very important for the digestion CAL.
    and speeking of CAL. do you have your suplements?

do some reading on the diet of your veild as well... they like to eat a variety of things... sometimes they will eat one thing very well and then not eat at all... this is common. they like to have different things....

congrats on the chem... you have a lot of work ahead of you i hope you are ready for the commitment.

my veild is BIG i think bigger then average. i raised him from tiny just like yours. its been a long road... but remember, you are the only thing keeping him alive... so put forth the effort and get a good return. :)

17. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

I personally dont like the idea of having such cool water dripping, as from an ice cube. I prefer it to be room temp. I use a plastic cup with a pinhole in the bottom placed on top of his cage and little dish underneath to catch the runoff.

I always spray from the direction where he is behind a leaf so the water has a lesser chance of getting him directly.

I have UVB and I have supplements, but not one very high in calcium. I figure that the UVB will do its job and allow the D3 synth to where I need only mildly supplement the calcium. Can I use the same supplements I use for my CWD?

Right now he is so small that he is on pinheads. I suppose I could use the wingless fruit flies also, but I fear they would crawl though the mesh.

Thanks for the info, RedFox. Does what Ive got so far sound about right to you guys? I will be adding more fake vines today as well as the ficus. Whats the best way to clean the plant? Hydrogen Peroxide solution? Just warm water? It obviously needs to be safe for the cham and for the plant. Should I replant it in bed a beast stuff or should I just cover it so he cant eat any of the potting substrate?

18. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

Cute very tiny! Love um i want one as well one day! Alot of work!! Good luck!

19. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Took some good shots of his rear feet. (In order left to right) right foot, left foot, right foot. Am I incorrect? Is that not the little tab on the foot that denotes a male?

[​IMG]

20. Merlin

I think you are correct about the sex!
    I was unable to see the tab in the other pics you posted.
    For the plant just cover the soil with something, turn the plant upside down and swish it around in a pot of warm water with a touch of dishwashing soap in it. Then swish it around in clean water to remove all the soap residue.
    I would not plant it in the substrate itself. If for some reason you need to remove or replace the plant you would end up tearing down the cage to do so.
    What brand/type ofsupplement are you talking about?
    Generally vitamins and calcium are provided seperately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.