This Disappears When Logged In

My New Room!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by wildheart, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

What is on the floor? Carpet? That will smell great in a year! Have fun with that lol.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I think they have him pretty well potty trained... ;)

It looks great! I bet Forest is in heaven!

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Humidity though will make the carpet smell that wet towel smell. ICK.

4. MoogleBass

Yes, I don't care how well it is potty trained, there are bound to be accidents. Carpet isn't a good idea. The smell, the bacteria it can harbor. Just could be a stinky mess.

5. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

The room is amazing, great job!

I too would reconsider the carpet. Lay a sheet of vinyl over it.

1) Igs get their nails caught in carpeting and they get ripped out.
    2) Some igs can get strange strains of bacteria from human carpeting (one owner was completely convinced his iguana died from carpet chemicals and bacteria. He did his own fecal floats and published them weekly!).
    3) Igs will ingest the fiber in carpets.
    4) Humid room means mold in carpeting, also a health hazard to iguana and human alike. ;)

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I mentioned in my first post that we are going to cover the carpet, it was probably too long ago for you to remember.;)

So you don't have to worry, the only reason why there is still carpet is because we are waiting for our Land Rover that is at the workshop. We can't get the tarpaulin to fit into the Diahatso.:p

I just want to thank everybody for your kind words and joining in my excitement of this whole project! You are really super! [​IMG]

7. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

Why not rip up the carpet and put down that wood laminate flooring. Probably cheaper than the bulb you bought!!!
    Room looks awesome.

8. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Do not confuse my R with $.:p

We did our whole house with the laminated wood and we still have a stack of boxes left.
    I did think about that, but decided against it. It will be easier to clean the tarpaulin. I would also be able to take it completely out of the room for a decent scrub every now and then + it is waterproof. Wood will most probable rot due to his pool that is still going to go in there as soon as the Land Rover is back.

Craig did say that he wants to rip out the carpet first, I did not want to wait.:p

9. MoogleBass

So you are going to cover it with a tarp right? That I don't think will work, water and moister can still get under it and cause it mold and stuff.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I 2nd for taking out the carpet. Rip it out and put down something easy, like a giant sheet of laminate flooring, or those sticky tiles. Something easy to clean and won't harbor bacteria. Just because water isn't getting to it, doesn't mean the humidity isn't.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Laminate flooring does harbor bacteria. Anything that can be scratched by an iguana's claws can harbor bacteria. It is pretty simple, iguana poos, than maybe gets some in his claws, walks across floor, decides to start digging or scratching, you now have an small tear or rip that can and will harbor bacteria.

It is really a tough situation to make something that will never harbor bacteria. I use tile for all mine, but then again they still will dig up the grout sometimes, then I end up in the same situation. Having to rip out the tile, because something nasty got underneath it. So I just start all over again, it is very frustrating.

12. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Ok, so I think the best idea will be to rip out the carpet and put tarpaulin over the raw cement. I don't want to lay tiles now because the complete house is done with laminated wood. If we ever move, I will have to lift the tiles again otherwise it would look funny and I am no mood for that.

13. MoogleBass

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, use that garage floor sealant. Its fabulous. Everything is going to harbor SOMETHING. Its just the different levels of what you can wipe out.

15. nrfitchett4

nrfitchett4 Guest

I would think most flooring would be cleanable with a bleach solution just to disinfect.
    I'm still jealous!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.