This Disappears When Logged In

My New Baby Ornate Uro Questions>>

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Rainbow, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Hi everyone,
    Happy to have came across this forum. I got my uro yesterday and I wanted to make sure I give him the best life so I joined to learn more. For now all is well.. he was shipped to me and once I received him, within a few hours he was running around the tank checking it out, ate a bite of endive, and then seemed to go to sleep about 6-7pm and is currently still sleeping as it is 5:45am as I'm writing this.

Something I wanted help with is that "he" is said to be 6 months or so, and looks to be about 4-5 inches long. I've attached a photo of him because I was told he is most likely a male. Yet I was also told and read everywhere that it's very hard to know at this age what they are. However I wanted to know if anyone has any tips or can tell by my photos because it would be nice to change his name before I get used to it if it's not going to be a he afterall! Ha ha ha. Please see the theee photos Ive attached. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They are tell tale signs(so I've heard) that can lean one way or the other in determining gender for young Uros. However it's species specific for each one.
    Nice looking Uro though. Ornates get some very pretty colours.

3. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Thank you! I wonder what the tell tale signs are?

4. kriminaal

Differences in head shape, tail base thickness and such between male/female.

5. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Even at this age?

6. kriminaal

It's things that breeders might be able to pick up on having seen many off-spring. Not all species would be included in this.

7. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Oh I see. Thank you.