This Disappears When Logged In

My Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Era, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Era

Era Active Member

Yes, a little bit of it fell off like a month ago but only like an inch to and inch in a half. Her diet consists of mustard, collard, turnip, and some other greens. I give her green beans, and some fruits on occastion. I did take out the bark. I have tried to give her some juvi growing pellets (not alot) with her food. Is ther any reason she is not growing like shes soposed to?

2. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Well, honestly, she could be behind in development because she didn't have a proper diet or set up for a while. Did you ever check to see what is in those pellets?

You haven't answered most of the question we've asked, so it's hard to tell where she might not be getting what's best for her.

Most importantly of of those, I think, are:
    -How are you preparing her food?
    -What is her cage situation now? (Is she still in the tank, did you move her to the bigger cage, what is the temperature and humidity in the cage)
    -What type of lighting do you have?

If you generalize your answers and aren't specific we can't fully help you.

3. Era

Era Active Member

The iguana pellets i am feeding her has been mentioned before here by another member, the Rep-cal juvenile Iguana Food.

I am slicing or cutting up her food. She is in the tank, soon when she's a little bigger i have a big big cage for her, and the temp is about 90-92 and the humidity im not sure about. But i do mist around every morning, and around like 5. I have a uva light. The ones that give out like suns light. She also goes outside now that its warm for like 3-4 hours when im out there.

4. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Just be sure that the ig pellets are soaked in water and are only a supplement - not the main part of the diet.

Going outside is fantastic! That said, you do Not want a uvA light - you need uvB. Without proper UVB levels your iggy will be unable to absorb calcium properly. This leads to Metabolic Bone Disease - a Very devastating disease that often results in death. You should look into getting a MegaRay, or another mercury vapor bulb. MegaRay really is the best though. Not to mention, if you get the self ballasted bulb, it will produce heat and UVB so you will only need one bulb - thus saving electricity and money buying multiple bulbs. Welcome To ReptileUV - Mega-Ray® UVB lamps for reptile lighting worldwide
    Please please get her a uvB bulb - it is VERY important if you want her to grow up to be big and healthy. :)

Also, if the big cage is ready now - then move her now. If not, then as soon as it is ready, move her then. She may be tiny now, but she still needs a lot of space - just be sure she has a lot of hiding spots so she can feel safe. :) With more room she will feel more comfortable (provided she has hiding spots to retreat to when she wants). With less stress and more space to exercise, she will be happier and be healthier - thus she will grow at a better rate and again - will be healthier.

The misting is good. If the cage you have is mesh then I would maybe mist her a little more often if you can, just because it will evaporate fast. For the big cage you would probably be better off getting a humidifier. You will be able to keep the humidity more constant that way and spend less time trying to sufficiently mist a huge cage! haha ;)

Finally - for the temps. It sounds like you have a pretty good hot side temp there. You should check the temp on the other side of the cage too though. They need a gradient of heat - a hot side, a cold side, and a basking spot (in the hot side). They control their body temperature by moving around to hot or cold areas so they need places of different temps to move to in case they got too hot or too cold. Our bodies keep our heat pretty stable, but if we want we can put on more clothes, or take them off, or stand in front of a fan to heat up or cool down. Igs can't do that because they are cold blooded so they need the environment itself to be a different temp. If the whole cage is the same temperature you could move the light off to the side as far as you can to create a better gradient. Again though, even in this cage the bigger cage is better as it will allow you more space to set up a better heat gradient for your little green friend. :)

Keep us posted!

5. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

(Listen to everything Katt said)

I didn't see you say that those are the pellets you use, only that you give her pellets. It is important that those are soaked so you don't dehydrate her, and that the food is chopped into very small pieces so she can eat more before she gets full and get more nutrition.

Is she still small enough to slip through the bars of the big cage?

6. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Oh is that why she is waiting to move to the big cage?

Hmmm...if the big cage has bars I would recommend finding some boards or plastic of some type to cover the bar openings. Otherwise it will be really hard to keep in the heat and humidity - unless you keep the entire room hot and humid you will be using a LOT of electricity to get the right temps and spending a LOT of time misting! haha
    You can get some thin board in big pieces called Melamine or something like that for Really cheap at most Hardware stores. Just put some sealant on one side of those and use them to cover three sides and the top of the tank. If it is a barred cage, like a kennel or something almost, you can just drill a few holes in the edges and either tie or zip-tie the boards to the bars. Covering the sides will also help her to feel more secure. :)

Btw - pics? ;)

7. Era

Era Active Member

I just got back from out of town and she has gotta like 2x as big as she was. :)

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great news!:)

9. Era

Era Active Member

yes she has lost some of her tail though but her body has filled out quite nicely. But how come her jaw is really soft? likeif i was 2 poke it, it would move?

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

That is most likely from a lack of calcium or proper UVB lighting or both.

Do you use a powdered calcium supplement on the greens?

Soft bones are a result of mbd which is caused by low calcium levels or the ability to absorb it. Ig's need UVB lighting in order to properly absorb and utilize calcium.
    An Ig has to have vitamin d3 to utilize calcium in the diet. Ig's make vitamin d3 in their skin when exposed to UVB light.

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Where are you "poking?" If you are poking her jowl, it could be that you are pushing into, um, muscle (what IS the name of the area kind of under the jaw that swells in males? Jowls?) sorry not sure how to best explain. I'm pretty sleep deprives atm. haha If her BONES are soft, you need to get some calcium into her ASAP. I just looked at your current pics on your profile and her head/jaw area looks a little strangely shaped to me. It could be the pics, but did anyone else notice it? It looks a lot like pics of MBD I have seen. I would take her into the vet. They can check for MBD and even give a calcium injection if she needs one.
    In the meanwhile, and after that, you need to get some calcium supplement (no, ig pellets do not count lol). It needs to be pure calcium with NO phosphorus and NO D3. Good luck!

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Here are the pics I am referring to of the iggy in question, and some pics of iguanas with MBD. I don't think she is as far along, but see the resemblance?

pict0006.jpg

pict0004.jpg

You can't see it quite as well in this pic:
    pict0003.jpg

She also looks pretty badly dehydrated:
    pict0005.jpg

And igs with MBD:
    rug-mbd.jpg

IguanaNewGSpics023.jpg

MBD legs:
    IguanaNewGSpics024.jpg

Aquatic-Terrors > Can't help but be happy by the improvement

Identification and treatment of metabolic bone disease

iguana with MBD - Google Search

EDIT: Look at Era and the MBD pics. See the front of the mouth and lower jaw? After seeing these pics more side by side I think you need to get to the vet.

Attached Files:

13. Era

Era Active Member

Yes i do see it. So what can i do for her?

14. Era

Era Active Member

her bones arents soft its just her around her whole mouth and ive givin her lots of calcium (not alot just enough)

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I agree with Katt, in the second photo, her bottom jaw is definitely swollen, that IS one sign of MBD, I think you need to take the animal to a vet asap. How do you gauge the correct ammount of calcium, and can you give me the name of the UVB lamp you`re using?

16. Era

Era Active Member

I cant say name right off top of my head. But we dont have a vet near me to take her too but i have been giving her just calcium cubes (with normal diet).

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are "calcium cubes"?
    If the iguana doesn't have appropriate UVB lighting it cannot metabolize the calcium.
    You REALLY need to get the animal to a good herp vet.

18. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I agree whole heartedly.

19. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

What did the vet say?

Most young iguanas in captivity have some degree of mbd already.