This Disappears When Logged In

My Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Era, Feb 9, 2010.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Well the first thing I'll mention is the fact that you have her on those wood shavings. Iguanas are really curious animals, and even though you feed her in a bowl they will curiously lick around and the substrate will get eaten! They can't digest it very well and they can get impacted!! Impactions are very bad and it can be very difficult for an iguana to get over! Unfortunately it can kill them(they will stop eating, stop pooping.. Just not good)

Newspaper is the best substrate for an iguana. No chance of impaction and easy to clean

2. Era

Era Active Member

O ok, she has never tired to eat it just licks it and keeps going. But otherwise does she look healthy?

3. Era

Era Active Member

What can i use if u wanna use like a natural landscape? Like the running water pump, rocks, real plants, and stuff like that?

4. purplemuffin

The issue is just the chance, it isn't just that she will try to eat it, the stuff can get caught on her tongue and it can accidentally get ingested is all!

I'm still learning about iguanas, so I'll wait on someone else to make the call on her health (The iguana listed in my signature is actually my boyfriend's parents iguana that will go into our care when he moves out)

Again I'll wait on some other iguana owners to talk, just was bringing up what I noticed

Are you prepared for when she grows to be full size to get a big enclosure? The tank she's in looks a little small, and she's going to need a real built one so she can grow up healthy with plenty of room soon!

5. purplemuffin

6. Era

Era Active Member

I do i have a really big one but the bar things are to big and she slip out but its about 5 1/2 ft tall, and about 3 1/2 ft wide. Yes i do get what you mean so put newspaper on the bottom of her cage?

7. purplemuffin

Ok, it was just the pictures made it look like a regular small tank!

That's what I'd suggest at least! You don't want to risk anything with your girl! :)

8. Era

Era Active Member

O the one she is in now is a 50 gallon tank. And thanks for all the help. Do you have any idea how long it will take her to reach 2 feet? she is about a foot or a little les now?

9. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Definitely get that bark out of her cage and put newspaper or paper towels down now. That stuff could easily get stuck to her tongue.

What are you feeding her and how do you prepare it? She looks a bit skinny and possibly dehydrated to me.

Make sure she can't eat any parts of that fake plant.

How deep is that bigger cage you have?

Real plants will probably get destroyed, become a mess, and it would be better not to have soil in the cage that the ig might ingest. They can work in some situations, and if you have to have one make sure it's a plant the ig could eat (a staple green from the food info chart). Plants generally aren't a good idea though.

I don't think a water pump would work well in an ig's cage. I think it would get dirty and the ig would probably poo in the water, recycling it through the pump... The best thing to do is have a bath in the cage and switch the water out daily and as it gets dirty.

Big rocks, sure. Just not porous ones that you can't clean if need be. Definitely don't put any in there that could fit in the ig's mouth though.

10. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

If you feed her right and have the correct lighting/temps/humidity she'll be two feet in under a year I think. That's my best guess considering I have no experience with young igs, just incase you don't get any other answers on that.

11. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

Listed below are normal AVERAGE sizes of iguanas according to age. (inches and pounds)

Hatchling: 2.5-3.5 SVL......6-9 STL ........3 oz.

Year 1: 8-9 SVL...........20-27 STL........1-1.5 pounds

Year 2: 11-12 SVL....... 28-36 STL........2-4 pounds

Year 3: 12-14 SVL........ 30-42 STL.......4-6 pounds

Year 4: 14-16 SVL.........35-48 STL.......5-8 pounds

Year 5: 18-20 SVL.........45-60 STL.......10-14 pounds

Year 6: 20-22 SVL.........50-66 STL.......14-18 pounds

Year 7: 20-24 SVL..........50-72 STL......15-20 pounds

They are absolutely right on the fact of getting her off that kind of substrate also. Bark not only posses a threat of impaction, but if swallowed can also cause severe damage to the esophagus and lining to the intestines due to the sharp edges on it. Dirt is not a recommended substrate because of sanitary reasons. As an Iguana will defecate on it the urates tend to seep into the dirt and as you are not going to clean out that dirt on a daily basis, it posses health risks to your guy.. Bacteria isn't a good thing for them..
    They are also right in the fact that he is going to eventually shred any live plants, so you need to be aware of that.. And absolutely make sure they are on the edible list for them.. Don't just guess!!

12. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I second everything. haha I also second her looking very skinny and dehydrated. Are you chopping her food up into tiny pieces for her to eat? She will get more nutrients that way, and be able to eat more. As well, I would spray the food with water before you give it to her to help hydrate her. Some foods like cucumbers (no nutritional value, but they have a good water content), fruits (i.e. mango, papaya, melon), bell peppers, etc have a lot of water in them. Be sure not to give her too much of any one, but a good variety of each. Maybe a few tiny pieces of one each day on top of her greens sprayed with water. That should make a big difference. Make sure that you are spraying the cage a lot too to keep up the humidity. ;)

Also, you aid that your bigger cage has a large bar spacing - telling me that it is a barred metal or wire cage. This will make it VERY hard for you to keep up good temperature and humidity levels as all of the heat and moisture will escape. Unless you plan on keeping the entire room HOT and HUMID, I recommend getting some type of plexi or wood to cover the sides and roof with. You can get some wood pretty cheap, seal it with polyurethane, and drill holes along the sides. Then just zip tie the wood pieces to the bars o hold them in place.

Lastly, you DEFINITELY want to get rid of the wood. Like everyone said already, she may not eat it intentionally, but she is naturally curious and likes to smell things and taste things with her tongue. Because their tongues are sticky, the wood may get stuck to it and she will eat it on accident - which could kill her!

Did you say what kind of UVB lighting you have for her?

That said it looks like you are gradually making the changes that need to happen! Keep doing so and your ig will live a long, happy life! :)

13. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

Now I feel really bad!!!!! almost like my LaLA is a dwarf! Or Im goofing up!

She's SVL 16
    S L 44 She had 6in taken off her tail right after I got her.

weight Im not sure

Am I not doing someting right, Any suggestions?!

Nat & LaLA

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Those charts are just an approximate and not set in stone. Some ig like some humans are going to grow at different rates and reach different sizes. As long as the ig is healthy don't worry about a chart.

15. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

That chart was only offered as a suggestive possiblity!! I guess the Word "AVERAGE" in the heading should be capitalized and bold!!:rolleyes:

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is now!;)

17. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

WHEW, thank god! I kept looking at her today & I thought well she does eat very well, maybe on the smaller side but at least she's not a plus size Ig:D I say that laughing, dont want her to follow my footsteps.

Nat & LaLA

18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I've looked at all the pictures of Era and her enclosure. I agree with what everyone else has said about the wood chips as substrate - please remove them! I also have to tell you that I think your iguana looks thin. Don't be mad!!! Just trying to help. If you follow all the good advice here, regarding her diet and humidity etc., she will probably do just fine and grow normally, but will now benefit from a trip to the vet to check for parasites/mbd.

She is adorable, good luck with her! Thanks for trying to do the right thing for Era.

19. Era

Era Active Member

She is way small then she is only about 14in from snout to tip of tail and a pound

20. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

She's ten or eleven months old now right? Sounds like the weight's good, but yeah, 6 inches less than the average minimum is small at that age. Is that with a full unbroken tail though?
    What's her cage and food like now? You took that bark out right?