This Disappears When Logged In

My Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Era, Feb 9, 2010.

1. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

And you can see it!! If you can't see it on the walls to the cage, if your interior is of lighter color, than I would bet you could feel it with your hands. The interior to my females cage is white for the most part and can't see it but sure can feel it when I clean the walls.
    And Merlin is absolutly right!! It is their way of getting rid of the excess salt in their systems.. :0)

2. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Yes, yes you can. It's not pleasent, especially in the eye or open wounds (like lizard scratches for example). When I find it on windows it is generally dried and has taken a circular, crystaline shape.

3. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

This is the professional take on the matter according to many that have researched iguanas extensively!! i.e. James Hatfield, Mellisa Kaplan and the authors of just about any other book or websites I have read on iguanas.

All iguanas snort, and snorting performs a valuable function. As herbivoures, the have to eat large quantities of plants to receive the nutrients they need to live. Many of these plants contain large amounts of potassium, which iguanas don't need. Reptile kidneys are not know for thier effieiency in ridding the body of potassium and other specific wastes. Instead the iguana has a nose salt gland that acts as a back-up kidney. It is specialized to remove excess amounts of sodium, potassium, bicarbonate and chloride, i.e., variouse salts from the iguanas body. Many factors affect the precise composition of the salty fluid, including diet.. The ducts of the salt gland drain into the nasal chamber as salt-filled fluid. When a pool of this fluid has collected, the iguana simply snorts it out it nostrils.. :0)

4. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I just knew when I made that last post someone was going to say they have tasted it! LOL Yuck! Do you feel set up? lol

I wonder if there is a market for snalt? Hmmm... They have sea salt so why not Iguana salt?
    I can see the marketing now, "Salt that is naturally extracted from vegetarian sources by vegetarian Iguanas.-Natures little salt makers!"
    We can compare it to how bees make honey! lol (If you knew, you would never eat honey again!)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here Now! I know how bees make honey and I still love it!
    It wouldn't be any worse than some of the other cockamamy ideas people have come up with!

6. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

like eggs.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I also know and still love honey. But of course here in the south, We eat a lot of nasty stuff anyways. Chitlin's, Head cheese, Cow tongue, Squirrel,...

What's a little bee vomit gonna do?

And, You're not truely a man if you've never eaten mountain oysters! But, that's another story.

8. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Don't forget grits and sugar cane!

9. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

Hey Merlin and OG, I agree! It could be called IG SNALT! hehehe

I think OG posted about tasting it, and marketing it. But seriously if youve had a Ig that is as tame as some of ours are you are going to get a taste of it & more than just once! I think LaLA does it to me on purpose like haha look at what I did to you:D

Nat & LaLA

10. Era

Era Active Member

Thanks you have all been a big help :) Now she has grown at a very good rate with her diet, lighting, spacing, humidity, and temperature.

11. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Good to hear! Glad she's doing well.

12. IguanaMom

IguanaMom Elite Member

How about some pics of her So we know who we are talking about :)

Nat & LaLA

13. Era

Era Active Member

[​IMG]How do i post pictures on my profile? Or in the forums?

14. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Forums: Well the easiest way is to find somewhere to post pictures(Like photobucket or even directly from facebook!) then if you look above the comment/post things you'll see all the editing things..bold, italic, etc. There is a yellow picture that has a mountain looking thing on it. If you hold your mouse over it it says 'insert image'. Click that, and copy and paste the URL where the image is located into it!

15. Era

Era Active Member

16. Era

Era Active Member

i tired i didnt work? [​IMG]

17. Era

Era Active Member

I have all of the pics in my photo albums in my profile.

18. purplemuffin

you need to find the direct link and make sure the whole url is copied. If you aren't sure, right click the image and find properties.. Under 'location' is where the image is, highlight and copy that and it should work

19. purplemuffin

Just looked at the pics...How recent are they? There are a few care issues that should be addressed..

20. Era

Era Active Member

They as of today, i have nocticed them but i am not sure cause i have been gone for 4days and i have just gotten home today.