This Disappears When Logged In

My Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Era, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

When my iguana was in a smaller cage (it was 30x20x60") She was very territorial and aggressive, a huge cage will possibly make her more secure.

and ditto on every thing else advised

2. Era

Era Active Member

Iv noticed that the past two days she has not been so mean, but she like "hisses" opens her mouth, but she has gotten "nicer"

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Is that a pic of your ig in your avatar? If so, He-She is very young so you might as well get used to the idea that this is going to be a prolonged experience in patience!
    The first thing you might realize is that your Ig doesn't share your enthusiasm for a friendship! But, don't let that hold you back!
    Just be consistent and your Ig will come to tolerate you.

4. Era

Era Active Member

Yes thats her. Iv noticd she has gotten "nicer" but she still trys 2 whip a lil bit but it has toned down quite a bit. I have changed her diet to mustard greens and mangos (as a treat), and her juvi iguana pellets

5. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

The issue is you need to have more items in their diet! They only eat greens, vegetables, and fruit and that's how they get all their nutrition.. Mustard greens are great! And mangos are good for a treat too, but the issue is your iguana could get very sick if she doesn't get the right nutrition, which means you need to make her a 'salad' of sorts..Different greens, veggies, etc.! The meal should look good enough for you to eat! :) Lots of color from the veggies make iguanas hungry!! I know my boyfriend's iguana gets the yummiest looking meals, she eats better than we do!

I'm glad you changed from lettuce, but as of right now it's still not quite all she needs.. Imagine if your own diet was that small! All the nutrition doesn't exist in those foods..

6. Era

Era Active Member

I did buy turnip greens, green beans, corn, and she loves carrots

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Corn and carrots are a no no.
    Did you not read the food list you were linked to?

8. Era

Era Active Member

I have, but i have heard and read tht u can give them corn and carrots

9. Merlin

You may hear and read a lot of things that are completely wrong!
    Theres a lot of nonsense out there regarding iguana care and some of it can be fatal!

10. Era

Era Active Member

O ok so dont give her corn or carrots?

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

and check those juvi pellet ingredients a lot of them have animal protein looks for bone meal, any insects, chicken....

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

RepCal pellets are the only pellets sold that I know of. Everyone seems to love them in moderation.
    Nothing will ever beat FRESH "broad leafed" greens!
    Being green doesn't equal being greens!

13. Merlin

Actually there are a number of brands on the market. Some of them are total trash!
    RepCal is the only one I recommend.

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yea there are many brands here, i found many with lots of **** in them from bone meal to egg product to insects all claim to be complete balanced nutrition for iguanas, bearded dragons, and a few other critters.

15. Era

Era Active Member

Ok thanks. Is alot of sneezing a bad thing not all time but like here and there

16. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

It's generally called snalting. When they have excess salt in their system they will sneeze it out. If it happens on glass wait for it to dry and you should see little white circles, that's salt.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

They snalt pretty much every day. If their nose is running then you should worry about an UI.

18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

You need to make sure that the diet is varied. Each meal should have at least three or better, four different nutricious and appropriate food items, for example: Chopped up mustard greens, gratered yellow squash (pumpkin is good!) a bit of parsley and a small slice of mango.
    Please get the iguana diet sheet and keep it as a guide. You will see what is not good for them.

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I havent seen any circles or any other shapes do to "Snalt". But snalt is perfectly normal!
    If you or I were to sneeze upon a clean plate of glass, our "Sneeze" would also appear as white crystals once the moisture is gone!

I have not seen any study that says that a reptiles breath has salt or any other substance in it!
    The only reason it is called snalt is because it is white and noone has any other explanation.

20. Merlin

Its called snalt because it's a combination of salt and snot! Its their way of discharging the excess salt in their systems.
    As one who has been snalted in the face on numerous occassions I can tell you it does have salt in it.
    You can taste it!:eek: