This Disappears When Logged In

My Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Era, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Era

Era Active Member

My iguana Era is really mean, and i have tried to work with her but she doesnt seem to be any nicer. Iv had her sense July, and i was woundering if theres something i can do?

1 more question: How do i look at my post if iv been gone a while?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

well a few questions...

What is your set up? cage size temp lights substrate...
    what is your diet?
    how old is the iguana? were you the first owner?
    How are you trying to work with her?
    what is it that she does? charge? bite? tailwhip?
    are you sure its a female?

3. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I too ask how old?
    How big is the enclosure?
    Does she have any areas in the enclosure that she can hide behind to have a little privacy? for example, some fake or real plants that she can blend into? A young animal is not going to feel secure in a wide open enclosure without good hiding areas. An adult is not so sensitive.

4. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

My adult female is pretty moody too. Part of it is she is a juvie. I have heard before (not sure of it's true, but it has "proven" true in our household) that females prefer male owners and males prefer female owners. So that could be it too, but to get a better idea the other information that has been requested in previous posts.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Iguanas take time to socialize. Sometimes up to a year! It is an exercise in patience.
    Explain to us exactly what you are doing in your attempts to "train".

6. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

There are a lot of care sheets and info on "taming" your iguana, have you checked out any of them?

And I agree with the questions that have been asked by others here. Especially how old is she, and do you have pictures of her and her enclosure? All this would really help us to try to help you and Era.

7. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

an ig can take time to socialize and get "nice" but some are just old...you look at your post by going to your profile and click statistics,then click post i have made

8. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

:confused: Yep they can take time to socialize, but what does old have to do with It?? I am confussed.. :0)

9. Era

Era Active Member

Yes she is a juvi. She is a about 7 or 8 months old. The cage is set up like a normal cage one cold side, and hot side. Its a 25 or 50 gallon tank. She has the lights shes supposed to have, and she has a heating rock, and a fake plant that she loves. She has a pretty healthy diet, i give her watermelon, iguana pellets (juvenile), grapes (sliced into small enough so she can eat them), romaine lettuce, and all that stuff they supposed to eat. I try to pick her up (go on slowly) and she tries to whip me, an she runs, i hold her till she calms downs then i put her on my shoulder then she's fine then once i move she gets all mean again? I am pretty she its a female. She don't charge, she just bites, an whips.

She can be nice but most of time shes like really mean

Also like what about her free roaming? Id be worried she take off and i couldn't find her again. Iv lost her once for 2days and i found her 2 days later and she was a lil dehydrated, and hungry. Also what kind of real plants can they have in there tank?

10. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

So which is it.. 25 or 50 gallon.. Most certainly will make a difference.
    What are the lights that you have in there that you seem to think she is supposed to have??
    What is the temp on the cool side? What is the temp on the warm side?
    How are you reading these temps?
    Fake rock is a NO and needs to be gotten rid of.. If you want to leave it in the cage for decore do so, but CUT OFF the cord.. This rock left plugged in and in the cage can and will burn the underside of your iguana.
    Your Diet is not a healthy one and you need to get that revamped to one that is.. Check out this site for good foods to feed!! greeniguanasociety.com
    I think you need to concentrate on getting the husbandry up to 100% par, before you start concerning yourself with how to tame it ..

If it is 7-8 months old, you won't know what it is for a little while longer!!

We are here to help so keep asking your questions.

11. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

:) We want to make sure you and iggy have a long happy time together, but the thing is, iguanas are very difficult to care for and have specific needs! The people here are marvelous and will help incredibly if you listen to their advice! A lot of people here have had to learn the hard way and have lost iguanas, right now yours has a poor diet and so right now its important to get that fixed!

12. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

I agree so far, get the husbandry up to par and go from there.

The reason age is a factor is the same as age being a factor of humans. An infant will need certain precautions, while a toddler needs something different from a toddler. Baby igs will have certain energy levels and activity levels that will be different from a juvie-adult. Plus, if we have an idea on what the age is, that will dictate whether it is absolutely necessary to get the taming under control right now, or if it can wait until other details are taken care of (diet & husbandry).

13. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Do not let it free roam. Maybe once it's older and you can be sure it'll be safe and not get into any areas it shouldn't be in or have anything around that it could mistakenly eat. As for real plants, anything on the list of plants that are safe for them to regularly eat.

Iguanas need very specific care to be healthy and happy, and most people will tell you wrong information (like giving them heat rocks and romain lettuce). It happens to a lot of people, so don't feel bad, just realize that iguanas need special care and that we're here to help you figure out what you need to be doing. :)

Please do tell us all the specifics about temperatures, cage size, lights, and food. They make a lot of difference. What type of floor does the cage have as well? Once your iguana has a healthy setting and diet, it will be happier. They take a long time for you to earn their trust though.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That doesn't tell us anything! What are the temperatures?
    There's a big difference between a 25 and a 50 gallon tank. But both are too small for a 6 month old iguana!
    Again, that tells us nothing. What brand and wattage and type of bulbs do you have?
    Probably because its too cool in the tank. Heat rocks do nothing to heat the enclosure itself and are extremely dangerous.
    That is not a healthy diet. It needs a major revamp!
    Sounds like typical iguana behavior. And stop putting her on your shoulder. Keep control of her during this training period.
    At that age you can't tell. and behavior is no indicator of sex.
    Also like wat about her free roaming? Id be worried she take off and i couldnt find her again. Iv lost her once for 2days and i
    You just answered your own question.
    None. They will destroy them.

15. Gojera7

Gojera7 Elite Member

Thank you for covering each statement. I agree wholeheartedly. But none of this talk does any good without the current, detailed information of the little one's environment.

16. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Your iggy is not mean, she is waiting for you to give her what she needs, and in the right order:

The right diet. Start with collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, and yellow squash. Grater the squash (everything must be raw) on top or mix it with her greens. Banana, mango, strawberries, grapes sometimes...as a treat. Read the iguana diet sheet.

The right temperatures and humidity in her cage, and a good UV light is essential for her to properly digest her food and grow properly without getting MBD.

Privacy and security so she can settle down and start to feel comfortable and not as if she is going to be eaten, that's why she is being "mean" - she is just afraid. This takes lots of time and patience! You can do it if you have the heart, the money to buy her the right stuff, and the time to spend with her or leaving her alone.

A nice big water bowl that she can sink her body down into. Make sure the water is not too cold.

If you just start by seeing to these needs at first, and just let her get used to you by sitting beside her tank for a while each morning and afternoon and reading or whatever, you will find that she begins to not be afraid of you. Then some weeks from now you can start to take her out for a bit and let her move around or crawl on you in a small enclosed room. Then when she gets confident and seems happy and curious and OK to be carried around, she can be taken into another larger room and allowed to "free roam".

They do not like dogs and cats, and must be carefully watched all the time while "free roaming".

That's what I think and I hope you and Era will benefit from all the advice you are getting here. Good luck!!!

Space in her cage to climb and move about. Driftwood is good and looks nice.

17. Era

Era Active Member

25 is the size of the tank.

18. Era

Era Active Member

my avatar is my iggy

19. MollyJ

MollyJ Elite Member

Make sure to answer the rest of the questions too. ;)

20. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member