This Disappears When Logged In

My Lovely Bloodred Corn Isabella

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by carnagerahl07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. carnagerahl07

carnagerahl07 Active Member

Okay so I have this new blood red isabella whom I got from a friend last month that was selling them. He had her for about three months now*I think that is a bit too young to tell if its a girl or not but I wanted to name it a that anyway lol* I've had her for about a good month already and she's perfect...

Now the only thing I'm still worried about is if her tank isn't hot enough on the hot side. I have a fifty gallon tank and an 8.5'' lamp with a 750w uv bulb shining down on the hot side with a large heat pad secured underneath the tank....

While all of this is peachy she has tried to shed one...it was all good except it came off in pieces and there seems to be a section of her body that hasn't quite finished the process to where it supposed to come off normally*its still underneath her scales* when she curls up it leaves wrinkles and something tells me that isn't right. Is there something I'm not doing right?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Better scale down the 750watt light bulb, say to 75 watt ;)
    Hopefully someone will come along and have an answer for you.

BUMP

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Blood reds are absolutely beautiful!! Give us some info your tank and set up. ie: water bowl for drinking and soaking, temps, substrate etc. Also a 50 gl tank might be somewhat large for a juvie corn. You will also find the caresheet below with great information. Don't forget to post pics :)

Corn Snake (Pantherophis guttatus) Caresheet

4. carnagerahl07

I don't know where the zero came from but yeah its a 75w bulb lol. thanks for catching that.

I did take a look at the caresheet. the tank and everything in it I got from a friend so yeah...her home is what she got on the first day. I can't give you temps since i don't have a thermometer handy at the time.

this is a pic of her tank*she's under wooden like object on the right.* the far end of the tank is the hot side. the other half of the tank beyond the second flower is the cold side and the water bowl is the rock-like thing closest to the camera.

in the second pic that's her along the side

Attached Files:

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

you should pick up a digital Temp/Hygrometer, you can get them at any home improvement store for less than $20. they give you a digital readout of both the temp and humidity. Give your girl a good soaking to help loosen the stuck on shed. you can also place her in a pillow case with a damp towel.

6. carnagerahl07

I will do that. it sort of bothers me that it still isn't coming off.

I noticed another thing, she doesn't kill her food anymore? she simply swallows them...is she only doing that because she know they aren't going to harm her or is it something else? That sort of worries me for later when her food gets older.

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

are you feeding her live or frozen thawed? a king snake at the rescue never tries to constrict her f/t food, she flicks it with her little tongue and swallows it down.

8. carnagerahl07

live. I don't want to go through the trouble of having to find frozen food or killing the live ones*humanely of course* myself later.

is there some way to train her to do it or is there no hope of that at this point?

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes being fed on pinkies often do not kill them. They seem to know that they are harmless. Their natural instincts will lead them to constrict as the prey gets bigger.
    By which time you should have already changed over to prekilled or f/t foods. The larger rodents are capable of killing your snake!
    And you MUST have a thermometer. Knowing the temperatures in the cage are essential for success in keeping any reptile.
    What type of wood is your substrate. The reddish cast makes it look like cedar shavings.

10. carnagerahl07

I will consider the prekilled prey once I get to that point...she doesn't take f/t prey at all I think she likes the kicking and squealing as she swallows them*she's a bit sadistic I guess*

I most definitely will be looking for a two thermometers in the near future seeing as I need to know the temps of both sides of the tank.

the wood is tropical substate...I can't tell any thing else on the bag saying what sort of shavings it really is...it says its perfect for humidity...so I spray the shavings on the heated side every other day.

11. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Not to mention the fact that you can find frozen (online and in petstores) all year long and in a multitude of sizes. All mine have (fortunately) been good about eating f/t and it makes a lot less hassle for food storage. Plus I can buy in bulk.

12. carnagerahl07

so I got the thermometer on the heated side of the tank its staying 88.6F and 42 in humidity. I don't see anything on the caresheet saying where the humidity level should be...does anyone else know if it should be higher or lower or is it good right where it is?

13. snubber

snubber Elite Member

The humidity is fine where it is at they don't need a high amount of humidity. It would not hurt to up it a lil when she goes into shed though.

14. carnagerahl07

how would I do that? set a separate bowl of water on the hot side of the tank or something?

15. snubber

snubber Elite Member

A spray bottle can be used to mist the tank.

16. carnagerahl07

and that works like a charm. :D thanks everyone. everything is all in order so far that I know.

one thing though I still can't tell when or where she's using the bathroom. I know she is...that's not the hard part I just wish I knew what the heck it looks like so I know what to clean. at this point i'm just cleaning the entire tank once a week just to make sure because so far I don't know what to look for.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You should be able to smell snake poop. It's pretty distinct (and strong), lol.

The shavings, if they are cedar, will need replacing. Cedar is toxic to snakes. It's possible they might also be masking the scent of the snake's poop. If you need to, you can replace with indoor/outdoor carpet, newspaper, paper towels, or a number of more natural substrates such as coco fiber, aspen shavings, etc. Avoid calci-sand, cedar, pine, and walnut.

Are you feeding her in the tank? if you are it's possible the snake is also getting pieces of shavings when she swallows. This could possibly lead to an impaction, which would prevent her from being able to poop, which is another possibility as to why you are not finding it.

If you need help getting your snake to eat a frozen/thawed, we have tons of methods. No snake (or very very few) will just take frozen/thawed without putting up some resistance. In some cases, it's a battle of wills. But there are tons of people who have done it who can share advice and tips.

Good reasons are (as Merlin mentioned) preventing injury to the snake. Other cons of live feeding: Live rodents can also transmit diseases and parasites. They smell bad. They are expensive.

I feed 7 snakes. This is gonna sound like a car insurance commercial: I saved over $1,000/year by switching from live to frozen.

Dead rodents can be ordered relatively cheap in bulk (I only spend about $200/year on rodents), transmit very few (if any) diseases, and can be kept around in large numbers without stinking up your house.

18. carnagerahl07

I can smell the poop i just can't tell where it is because of the fact that she releases it on the side where the shavings is*I don't know what type of shavings it is because the bag only says jungle earth-tropical terrarium substrate.* on the front of a bag it has a snake so its cool right?

when it comes to feeding her I do move the shavings out of the way while she's basking under the heat lamp on the other side of the tank. for the same reason you say...so she doesn't ingest any small pieces of the substrate.

19. okiron

okiron Elite Member

No, never trust stuff like that.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Pet shops would put a snake on the front of a bag of iron filings if they thought people would buy it for their snakes.

Case in point is the calcium sand substrate - they push it as product that is great for your reptiles, and if they eat it, wont' hurt them, will give them calcium for healthy bones, etc. In reality, the calcium they use is calcium carbonate (same stuff as in TUMS - neutralizes stomach acid) it essentially stops them from being able to digest their food, and has been known to cause death. All the food they eat is just halted in their stomach rotting and solidifying, and blocking things up.