This Disappears When Logged In

My Lizard is Ill!!

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Jonathan, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

I have a chameleon that i have had since January. I got a 10 gallon tank for him to have room to scatter. I bought play sand for him with a hideout made with honey which is made for hamsters. The tempature in the tank is 70-80 degrees and is measured by a lizard thermometer. I bought the the lizard thermometer at Speck pet Shop. The humidity is not being measured but is very humid. I found out that i need a UVB light so this weekend im getting one ASAP. He has ate very well until reccently around March. I feed him 3-4 crickets every other day and on the days i dont feed him i give him a mealworm. I am concerned about him sleeping all day and his eye is swollen. Possibly sand. He uses his other eye to locate his meals and he has been shedding over his head. If anybody can give me any information I can do to help him Please dont hesitate to talk. I will provide pictures if needed.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome. You need to remove the sand, asap. I don't know what type of hide you are describing, made out of honey? I feel like you should remove it if it is sticky? Is your thermometer digital? You definitely need a hydrometer to check your humidity levels.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Also the hideout is not sticky

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it a digital or analog thermometer? Can you post a photo of it and your setup?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give the species name, and yes, please put a few photos up, and how big in inches/cm is a 10 gallon tank?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am assuming that what you have is a veiled Chameleon?
    I don't know where you got your care information but you are doing just about everything wrong. Glass tanks are not suitable for chameleons. And particularly a 10 gallon. Its too small. They are highly territorial and even their own reflection stresses them. They also need air flow which is an interesting feat with balancing the heat and humidity. You need a screen walled cage 2ft square by 4 ft tall. The ambient temperature should be 75- 80 degrees but they also need a basking area of 95 degrees. Without sufficient temperatures they cannot properly digest their food and their immune responses are reduced.
    If your "Lizard thermometer" is a circular dial or a stick on tape it really isn't telling you the correct temperatures. You also need a hygrometer to determine the humidity level. You need digital guages for both.
    Sand or mulch is not appropriate and is an impaction risk. Most keepers just use bare tile or newwspaper.
    And yes a UVB bulb isd a necessity. Without it they cannot metabolize the calcium in their food and to stay alive they will draw it from their own bones. Not good!
    A hideout, regardless of what it is made out of is suitable for ground dwelling lizards, not a tree dweller like a chameleon.
    Have a look at our care sheet
    Veiled Chameleon Caresheet (Chamaeleo calyptratus)
    Chams are delicate and quite demanding intheir care. Posting pics of both the cham and the tank may help us dig something else up.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

What i did was buy a tank filler up with sand sanitized everything like a stick from a tree so he can climb and look around. I also bought a ladder that he loves jumping onto. He was fine with everything until his eye got swollen. It may be sad but i will post pics of him and his cage. It could be that he got sand in bis eyes and cant do anything to catch his crickets. Im getting the UVB light tomorow and he hasnt had the light for 2 months. I use a heating pad a reg light bulb for heat n humidity. Where can i get s hydrometer and should i take him to a herp vet?

Measurements are 20 x 11 x 12 inches and my thermometer is digital

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Anything?

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, have you read the caresheet Merlin links to? I can tell you the heat pad is practically useles for a tree dweller, and a normal incandescent bulb will heat the air but is not good for creating a basking spot because it directs the heat all around.
    Does the thermometer have a probe, if yes, it needs to actually touch the surface of the basking object (or you can use a digital Temp-gun).
    I think you can buy the digital hygrometer from Walmart (I`m in the U.K, so not too sure about that), I believe they cost around $12.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Please need more advice and information!

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This is excellent advice from an extremely experienced Chameleon owner. If you could follow it and get your cham into an appropriate screen cage then you would notice a drastic improvement. I am not trying to be mean as I know how it is to buy an animal from a petstore and follow their advice on how to raise it but the truth is their advice is wrong. If you continue to follow their advice your chameleon wont live very long.

More than likely the cham got something in his eye or damaged it trying to fight his reflection.

If you don't want to buy a new cage right away then build a screen top for the tank you have. Just buy some screen and some small molding. Build a frame out of the molding and then staple the screen to the frame. This should work for now while you save up for a bigger cage or until you can build one. Your lights will need to be on a stand though.

Also you need lots of fake or live plants and vines for his cage. It should be full enough that it takes you a minute to locate your cham.

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You can buy a 2x2x4ft reptibreeze enclosure for about $100 from lots of petstores. It looks nice, is professionally done, and you would never have to buy another cage size for your cham. It is worth the money.

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Found this picture for you. This is a simple and easy cage set up but the basic thing a Cham needs. A basking light, UVB light, a drip system for it to drink water, vitamins and calcium supplements on a regular basis. Gut load the food you're giving it, by now I would say it actually needs a Vet visit. If you can have him looked at fast enough you may avoid problems with its bones. How old is it or about what size? When they're young they need more food. You'll need a digital thermometer and hygrometer to properly set him up. Chams are not that expensive but their care and set up properly can be. Very high maintenece animal in order to be healthy and do well..... good luck

8561841025_9f25ae08d8.jpg
    Setup_with_live_plant_and_branches_-_1a

Attached Files:

15. TeguBuzz

TeguBuzz Elite Member

You have all the info posted already in this thread in links. Read the caresheets posted and correct all the wrongs in your setup that you've done. If done in time, hopefully your chameleon will recover. It is ill due to your improper care.

16. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Ive change the bedding to soil meaning no chemicals and parasites. Also added plants and fake. Got a bowl for h to drink. Still not eating as much while i am waiting for my shipping of the UVB bulb and powder which is vitamins n calcium. Not as active but somewhat active. Thanks for your concern and hopefully Rango will do betr.Ps. Eyes are doing better black now, barely sees and eats a minimum of 2 crickets.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So his eyes are better? Chameleons won't drink out of a bowl you need to spray his plants and he will lick the drops off of them.

18. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Yes I've sprayed the walls and the plant.

19. Popliteal

Popliteal Member

Hi Jonathan.

There may be some confusion here regarding what species you are caring for. Are you talking about a big lizard with a prehensile tail and large bulbous eyes (a chameleon), or a small lizard with a long pointy nose and small eyes (an anole, sometimes called an american chameleon)?
    The care and requirements for these animals are quite different. Pictures would help solve any confusion.

20. Popliteal

Popliteal Member

Anole (or American Chameleon): en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychrotidae
    Old world Chameleon: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon

I hope the links work. I would have put them in my last post, but it doesn't allow edits.

Dan