This Disappears When Logged In

My Lizard is Attacking Me

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by lizardlover56, May 31, 2013.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the best way to gain his/her trust is with food, I would just leave your hand next to the feeding dish and see if the dragon will eat something, but don`t try to pick the lizard up (does he/she eat in front of you)? You can also very calmly and gently touch the side of the body and see what happens.

2. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

I tried tat and he thinks my finger is food :( but when i cover my finger with food he eats it

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would not start covering your fingers with food because he will think that`s exactly what they are (he did)! I only meant near the dish to see if he would eat while your hand was close by (bad idea). Try using tongs, much safer for you, but don`t wave the food around, just hold it firmly in front of him (wriggling things around could result in being bitten).

4. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Well hes very agressive :( and i really want him to be less stressed out

5. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Don't cover your hard, give it time, be patient and murri has the right idea.

6. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Ok when i touch his side he jumps to his rock and into hes defence stand im trying everything you guys are telling me but he wont do it, and also yes he dose eat in front of me

7. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

This is going to be long so get comfy lol

You are honestly trying to force it ok. This process takes time. You have to have patience, and alot of it. When I got Meanbutt he had been in a 18x18 cage for 3 years, no heat, no lights, fed dried foods only and never handled. Let's talk about aggressive.

First of all be patient, stop forcing yourself on him. A good place to start is try a different feeder that doesn't jump so much (phoenix worms, roaches, wax worms on occasion) and hold the bowl securely in your hand. Show him the bowl you you are holding and let him relate food = you. Talk to him the entire time during the process.

Sit at the cage at his level and talk to him. Don't try to put your hands in...don't make any sudden moves. They do genuinely want to be around people. But if they have distrust - force only pushes that further in!! Within a week or 2 he will start waiting for you to come around. And after a week or 2 start leaving your hand in the cage with the food bowl longer and longer. You have to associate yourself to good happy fun things!!

It may take a few weeks before you can even get near him. This is totally normal. Don't chase him around, don't wear gloves (small tip...bites hurt 100000 times worse if you try to pull away). 90% of teaching them to trust is confidence and respect. Those 2 things are crucial. That with a good deal of patience is required.

8. Treven

Treven Member

just give it time to get use to its new enclosure.

9. B3ll3

B3ll3 Elite Member

my girl isnt half as aggressive as yours so i would just wait for signs from the lizard when its time to pick it up

10. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

Well i do talk to him all the time and he just stares at me with this deadly look but i will be patient and do what you said

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Can you take a picture of how he is looking at you?

12. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

I have no way of taking a picture but i can describe it he opens his mouth and sticks his toung out and jumps at my hand when he sees me trying to pick him up.

He also been biting at his thermometers well not biting but like trying to get to them, i dont understand why he is so agressive

13. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok what and how much are you feeding him? How big is he?

14. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

I feed him like 6 small crickets like 4 times a day and hes pretty small i cant mesure him he wont let me pick him up....

15. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

He probably is hungry. He needs as many crickets as he can eat in 10 minutes. The cricket or other prey should not be larger than the space between his eyes.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If you dont want to feed more crickets add a bowl of phoenix worms that he can eat out of throughout the day.
    For instance the two teeny tiny beardies I just go easily eat 100 dubias in a day. They are voracious eating machines and if they are hungry they can attack anything that moves. So try feeding more at consistent times and see what happens.

17. lizardlover56

lizardlover56 Member

.... what are phoenix worms i asked all the petshops and they have no idea what they are

and how many meal worms should i feed him and when

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well Phoenix worms are ordered online (floridaherps.com has the cheapest prices) or petco sells them as calciworms

19. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

NO NO NO NO NO mealworms til he is close to full grown!! no no no no no no!!!! Why...too much chitin not enough meat

The Phoenix Worm Store Home Page

small Dubia, small crickets, small silkworms, small/medium phoenix worms are your basic insect choices.

20. Munch

Munch Active Member

There is a video I saw about monitor trust building in 212 days, It is about monitors, but can work with beardies.